Chapter Seven: Date Night

After Logan had read Thomas his bedtime story, which had been a thoroughly charming experience, he slowly headed back outside. For a moment, he just stood in the doorway, watching Patton work. It was warm, cozy, domestic...something his life had been sorely lacking in recent years. He was just walking out to join him when "Haunted" by Evanescence blared from his phone. Patton's head whipped around, and he laughed at Logan's pained expression. Logan sighed, and grabbed it. Virgil had clearly been playing with his phone settings again.

"Yes, Virge?"

"Oh thank God you answered! What the fuck am I doing?! What the actual FUCK am I doing?! I'm going on a goddamn date with Roman Sanders, that's what I'm doing! Because I'm a moron. He hypnotized me with his stupid smile and his dumb green eyes, ugh! How do I back out of this, Logan?! There's still time! I could fake my death, or flee the country..." Virgil's panicked voice immediately put him on alert, and he veered away from Patton so the other man wouldn't hear.

"Virgil, deep breaths. In for four, hold for seven, out for eight. Running away will solve nothing, and if my memory recalls, this date was something you wanted enough to agree to previously. Do you truly not enjoy Roman's company?"

"IT'S NOT THAT! Okay, I don't actually KNOW if I enjoy his company or not. Sometimes I do. I don't know! We don't have that much in common. What if this whole thing fails? What if he spends time with me and realizes this is NEVER going to work? What if-"

"What if the universe implodes and we all die a horrific death?"

"That would be awesome right about now."

"Virgil, you can make yourself insane with 'what if' scenarios. He has been pursuing you for three YEARS. I'm quite certain he has found something very worthwhile in you or he would have given up long ago. You're truly not giving him, or yourself, enough credit. Breathe. It is going to be fine. Get ready for your date. If memory serves, he should be arriving shortly." Logan glanced at his watch as he said this. Virgil made a high-pitched noise of distress.

"A true friend would give me an iron-clad excuse so I wouldn't have to go through with this!"

"How utterly unfortunate that you were cursed with as subpar a friend as I. You have five minutes until your date arrives."

"I fucking hate you."

"Duly noted. Have fun!" Virgil huffed as his friend hung up, glaring at his phone. What kind of lousy ass friendship was this, anyway? Won't help him hide a body, won't help him get out of an ill-advised date! Why was he friends with Logan again...?

As he was silently praying for a meteor to come strike him dead, his cat hopped up on the table in front of him, wailing for attention. He grinned and gave him a pet, listening to the throaty purr. Khoshekh was a stay that he'd found in the dumpster behind his shop one night. Some asshole had thrown him out, probably because he was all black and a fluffy little monster, but Virgil loved him. The cat hated every living thing on earth but him.

"You would have saved me, wouldn't you?" Virgil smiled as he scratched behind Khoshekh's ears. The cat made a ridiculous noise before rolling over and purring at him. He looked adorable, but Virgil knew better.

"Nuh-uh, that's a trap. Rubbing that belly only ends in teeth, claws and pain." He turned away and grabbed his leather jacket, giving himself a critical once-over in the mirror by the door. His standard black skinny jeans, a button down purple and black plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and once he left, his jacket instead of his hoodie. It was a dressier version of what he usually wore. He still had no idea what the hell they were doing, but he figured if he was going to fuck up a friendship on a Hindenburg of a date, he'd do it in style.