Chapter Twenty: Mothers, Meetings and Roses

Virgil was idly wiping down the counters during the afternoon lull when his phone went off. He frowned as he saw an unfamiliar number, and nearly ignored it, but at the last second he answered it on a whim. "Hello?"

"Hello! Is this Virgil Mason, by any chance?" A woman's friendly voice asked.

"That depends on who's asking. If you think he owes you money, or have a warrant out for him, he's dead," he answered easily, leaning a hip against the counter as he lifted a metal carafe, turning to fill it with more coffee.

"I'm afraid I'm looking for him because of my son. Roman Sanders?" the woman replied, her voice sounding very amused. Virgil dropped the pot he was moving with a loud clang, his eyes closing in mortification. Oh my god, no. He did not just say that to Roman's mother, of all people! "Roman told me that you wanted to meet us before talking about settling down, and I think that is just the sweetest thing! Wanting to meet someone's parents is a bit of an old fashioned notion these days, but I really think it matters, don't you?"

"Mrs. Sanders, I...I'm sorry! I didn't realize--!" Virgil stammered, trying to undo some of the damage, but she cut him off with a merry laugh that brought a slight smile to his face.

"Oh, now, don't you be so formal with me! It's Lydia to you, sweetheart. My Roman has told me so much about you, I feel like I know you already. Now, Daniel and I have been traveling and we won't be back until the summer time, but Roman insisted we chat sooner. I understand he asked you to marry him? Could have knocked us over with a feather." Lydia's voice was gently inquiring, not judging. Virgil could feel his face flushing and mentally praised every deity he didn't believe in that this conversation wasn't happening in person.

"Well, me too! He uhh...he did, but....I haven't given him an answer yet," he replied, wincing.

"That's alright, Virgil. Sanders men are pushy anyway, and there's nothing wrong with taking a little time to think things over, especially not with something this important. Let him sweat a little. It's good for him." Virgil laughed out loud at Lydia's easy retort. He relaxed slightly, feeling a little more at ease.

"Didn't think I'd ever hear that from you, to be honest," Virgil relaxed a little more as he heard Lydia's musical laughter again.

"You think I don't know what he's like? I love my boys, but they're both tenacious and stubborn to the core. Once they set their sights on something, they'll move heaven and earth to get it. Val takes a little more after Daniel. She's still ambitious, but she's more laid back than the rest of us. Made for an interesting mix when they were growing up, let me tell you," Lydia's voice was fond, obviously filled with love for her children. Virgil felt a small, wistful pang at that. He had never had an affectionate relationship with his own mother, didn't even know where she was. And if he were totally honest, he didn't care, either. But he envied the Sanders trio for the happy childhood they must have had.

"That's definitely Roman. It was less of an asking and more of a telling me, to be honest." Virgil drawled, picking up the metal carafe he'd dropped and inspecting it for damage.

"Why that pushy little heathen! The least he could have done was ask. I taught him to be more romantic than that. No wonder you're taking some time!" Lydia sounded outraged on his behalf, and it made the barista chuckle softly.

"Honestly, it was...it was perfect the way it was, Lydia. I don't do well with big, dramatic displays. And I know he meant it, I just...we've only been together for a year. It all feels too fast, you know?" Virgil mentally slapped himself, because he hadn't meant for that to slip out, but it was too late to take it back now. There was a pause, and when Lydia spoke again she sounded so understanding that tears stung his eyes.