In Broken Trust

By pearyreader5

@pearlreader5

In Broken Trust. Set during chapter 15 of 'A Love Ever After' whilst Eliza is in the library.

"It was hard for you? Have you ever thought about what it was like for me? I saw that girl today, and she reminded me of myself. She was cold, hungry and no one to love her. That is exactly how I was. I had to stop because I know what it is like to be that desperate."

When she ran off, all I could feel was pain. The pain, the sorrow and the regret. I had been so happy that my marriage with Jonathan that I forgot. I was so proud of the success of my marriage that I forgot the worries that I once had. The worries that he would also be horrible. And now my own daughter was in the situation that I had never wanted to be in.

Andrew looked like he was about to run off after her, but I held my hand out and stopped him.

'Leave her alone. She will approach us if she wants.'

And with that I turned and walked as fast as I could back to my own chambers.

I knew that my actions would make the others even more surprised then they already were. But I knew that feeling even more than anyone could ever have possibly imagined. When I walked into my room, I dismissed all my maids and stared at the paper which had the marriage agreement from so many years ago. I remembered the tears of them all. Rachel, Danny, Andrew. Their anger at me. The times when they wished they could disappear and live a happy life. They ended up happy. But the child who had suffered, has to suffer more. Has to be torn away from the life she dreamt of as a child.

I could have saved heartbreak and disappointment.

I had failed as a mother.

My knees buckled and I fell to the floor. If someone found me, how would they laugh to find their queen in a bundle of fabric on the floor.

I ignored the knocks that came from the direction of the door. I heard the voices from outside . I closed and locked everything.

I looked out onto the city. I looked at the houses outside the city walls. I remembered the time when I too was out riding and I saw a family so poor that they gave up everything I had. And I remembered when I found out that they had died the day after. I was young then and shrugged it off. But now I remember and wish that it had never happened. And that I could have helped them. Just like Elizabeth did today.

I remembered the happiness I had when Eliza was found. And the sorrow when I heard her story. How she was so similar to the family that I saw that night.

I never wanted to know that she was in the horrible conditions that we outcast as royals. That people did not realise that we were humans just like them. Or that some thought that those who weren't privileged shouldn't be acknowledged.

My grief soon turned to hate.

Hate that Prince Jackson was so unforgiving.

So proud.

So cruel.

And how that man was going to control Elizabeth.

***

I love how you have written it in the perspective of the queen. It definitely shows a side to her character that hasn't really been seen before. The writing is gripping, and the repetitions at the end really add to the affect. It really is amazing!