Love, Guilt and Destiny

By luciferherondale

@luciferherondale

Lost Royalty- Love, Guilt and Destiny

This is written in the POV of James' mother- Mrs. Parson. It is following Elle's arrival at the palace, however, most of the scenes are Mrs. Parson's recollections of what happened prior to Elle's crowning, before the search for the princess.

Mrs Parson looked out her window, and saw the royal carriage clatter along the dusty path. ''Mother, mother,'' Gemma exclaimed, rushing to and fro with obvious excitement. ''They're here!'' In truth, Mrs Parson was as excited as her daughter. However, she could not help the queasiness in her stomach, for she also felt an ebbing guilt in her heart, over an incident that took place sometime ago.

''Poppy,'' Mr Aberfroth wondered out loud, his wrinkled face lighted up with amusement. '' Are you sure that book is for 'a dear friend' and not for yourself.''

''Of course, I'm sure,'' Mrs. Parson replied. 'In that case, I would have simply finished the book here, instead of having to buy it from you.'' Mr Aberfroth laughed heartily, for what she said was indeed true; she was a teenager at heart when it came to fairy tales. ''Though, I might read it before I gift it,'' she added like an afterthought, causing fresh laughter from the owner of the bookstore.

Mrs. Parson soon arrived at Mr Winter's house, after a ten minute walk. Every month, he paid her to bring fresh groceries for him and Elle, for he hated shopping at the market and mingling with other people. 'The horrid man!' Mrs Parson thought to herself. Elle always seemed unhappy because of him. The woman was determined to do something nice for the sweet girl, hence the book. While arranging the groceries, she slowly looked around. When she deemed that all was quiet, she sneaked out the book from her basket, stepping softly towards Elle's worn-down couch at the end of the room. Carefully, she lifted the holey, grey blanket, sliding the book underneath.

''What do you think you are doing?'' an icy voice cut through the air, causing her to drop the book in fear. Before she could so much as move a muscle, Mr Winters strode towards her, grabbing the book and inspecting it. ''The little Princess?'' he thundered, the veins popping in his now red neck. ''What is this woman? Answer me!''

Mrs. Parson was always rather frightened by the man, but she had never felt quite this afraid before. ''It was just a gift for your daughter. She is fond of reading, and she never has anything for herself. It costs you nothing.''

The man almost growled at that, and flung the book right out of the door. ''Out! Get out! And don't you dare speak a word to that brat of a girl if you know what's good for you, or you will regret it!'' Not doubting the savage's words, Mrs. Parson fled away, the book cradled in her arm.

That night, when she passed by Mr. Winter's house, she heard him send Elle to bed without supper. The thought of Elle starving herself to sleep, cold and friendless killed her appetite.

''Is Gemma asleep?''

''Hmm?'' Mrs Parson asked, snapping back to reality. She had been feeling guilty all through dinner.

James frowned at his mother with concern. ''Mother are you alright? You seem rather occupied.'' The latter stared at the boy wordlessly for a while, and abruptly stood up, making way to the fireplace. ''Mother?'' James asked, rather bewildered by the response.

Picking up a package by the mantle, Mrs Parson went to her son and took his hand. ''My dear, I need you to do something for me.'' James agreed quickly with a nod, still curious. ''The other day, Gemma was teasing you about passing by the small clock tower very often because Elle went there often.'' James eyes grew quite large, as he watched his mother gulping. ''Now while that tower is small, I simply cannot climb up those narrow stairways. Inside this package, is a book. I want you to leave this book there on your way to work, before she arrives. Can you do that?'' If her son thought it weird, he did not voice it, and Mrs Parson was glad.

The next morning, when she woke up, James and the book were gone. Despite knowing that James would do as he said, she could not shake off her feeling of unease. Finally giving up, Mrs Parson wrapped herself in a cloak and went out, through and out the market, towards the smaller clocktower. She was about to approach it, when she saw James leaning against an alley, watching the top of the clock-tower discreetly. Not wanting to scare her son, she stayed a safe distance from him, and glanced at his line of sight. He was watching Elle- who was reading the book with the brightest smile on her pretty features. The mother smiled happily at the scene. Elle was growing on her son, and Mrs Parson could not be happier. If it weren't for that horrible man of a father, she would have started planning their wedding.

Mrs Parson sighed at the memory. She was glad that Elle was free from Mr. Winters, and that she was finally happy. However, she could not shake the feeling of guilt off her chest as Elle entered their home, looking picture perfect in a lavender dress. Mrs Parson curtseyed. ''Princess,'' she said, tears filling her eyes. Elle took her hands and soothed her; just as kind and humble as ever.

''There is to be a small private party with my family, and a few other close friends of my parents. I wanted to invite all of you as well,'' she said. ''Thank you for making my life better. All of you,'' Elle added, giving James a small look, that did not go unnoticed by the mother. It killed Mrs Parson that Elle sincerely believed they had made her life better, when honestly she had been too much of a coward to oppose Mr Winters in anything. She was determined to make up to it somehow.

When she saw Elle and James say each other goodbye, before she left- Elle with red cheeks, and James with a flushed face- Mrs Parson smiled.

***

This is so darn cute! I love he idea of a flash back in the POV of Mrs Parsons. It's great to know what she was thinking all that time ago. It's a very well written chapter, with a great plot.