Unnamed 2

By oloberhugs

@oloberhugs

Set in the final chapter of Lost Royalty. About Oliver.

HE HAD NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED TO ATTEND A BALL BETORE. For as long as he could remember, young Oliver was not one for big crowds nor too much chatter, he was one for a rather large comforter and a book with marshmallows dipped in hot chocolate that filled his favorite plain white cup.

He was also not one for maximizations as well, all his life being a minimalist at heart, someone that a stranger would point out as a plain entity with little to not interests. But the young boy was interested in almost everything, whether it was art, politics, war, peace or even ruling the kingdom that was a duty his father attended to, he was a curious existence with eyes that give you other universes to think about.

So, when he saw the long brown hair that adorned his sister's back from a distance as she was clasped tightly in an embrace on the dance floor with James Parsons, his hazel eyes that had turned into the color of his mother's favorite day dress that she would wear on a Sunday morning out in the garden that seems to always camouflage her form had sparkled with curiosity as the universe in his head worked to figure out if his assumptions were true.

Her laughter seemed to ring inside his head even though he couldn't hear it under the music but he saw her lips curve into the shape it does when she laughs genuinely which he was becoming familiar to. His eyes turned to the crowd in a search for someone to confirm his assumptions upon the sight of the pair as he finally settled on one particular person.

Oliver reached his oldest brother's side in almost a second, leaning against the wall just like Andrew is, trying to act cool and calm and not let his overly curious body give him away. His older brother glances at him swiftly then his continues looking elsewhere as Oliver wasted no more time.

"I wonder what prompted Eliza to dance with Parsons." He asked calmly, as to not tip his brother that he is in one of his curious episodes. Andrew rolled his eyes slightly as his lips tipped upwards in an attempt to hide his smile but failed miserably.

"I will not appreciate you sneaking around," Andrew teased him. "I know your true devious intentions."

In a second, all attempts of forging calmness was thrown out the window as he quickly turned to his brother and threw his hands in the air. "I do not have devious intentions! And for your own knowledge, I was asking because they are a suspicious bunch."

Andrew shrugged as he looked at the pair. "I won't blame you, Ol, they are a suspicious bunch."

The youngest Mason son's eyes were lit up like the blinding lights in the room, fitting in perfectly as they finally gave away his curiosity. "We need to make sure," with that, he turns away as his eyes look around the room once again in hopes of finding a better candidate.

His eyes settled on a woman who he remembers came in from Grea that was standing a little bit too straight that he worries for her back.

Oliver Mason would go to great lengths to feed his curiosity.

He approached her when she was no longer standing with anyone as she recognized him as the youngest Mason male.

"Good evening, ma'am," Oliver started politely. She gazed at him curiously, but her eyes were never as curious as the young boy in front of her.

"Good evening, Your Highness."

"How is the ball so far, is it satisfactory?"

She smiled slightly. "Beyond."

He sent a quick smile to Delilah Trivilla as he cleared his throat. I hope to God I don't scare her away, he thought to himself.

"So, were you close to James Parsons, back in Grea?" He asked with a tone, surprisingly, calm.

She shrugged. "Perhaps. Excuse my rudeness, Your Highness, but why must you know?" Her eyes were going to burst with curiosity but still not enough to compete with the young Mason.

He sighs, his attempt at a collected front was, once again, thrown away from his mind as he let his curiosity get the best of him. "I want to know if he is in love with my sister, Elizabeth."

The smile that Delilah sent him could blind the sun if it was present, she looked from him to the pair on the dance floor, just like his miserable fail of a previous candidate had done, but instead she didn't look at him oddly nor did she tease him.

Her eyes settled on the pair as she finally uttered the confirmation word he was waiting to hear. "Beyond."

That word was all the confirmation he needed as he sent her the biggest smile his small body had in him as he looked back at his sister, in the arms of a man that loves her.

Looking at them, he realized why he found them suspicious in the first place, but he also scolded himself for not seeing the way they confirmed his assumptions just by looking at them, without having to bury his pride and ask Andrew, nor making a conversation with Delilah.

Oliver let his eyes now emotional eyes stray away from his sister as they trail the rest of his family.

He relished watching his father always at his mother's side as they chatted with strangers. Rachel was on the dance floor within the embrace of Daniel as they chatted and laughed animatedly. Andrew has now moved from the corner to socializing with his friends. Sophia flew on the dance floor as she danced with her laughter echoing to nearby ears as she caught the stares of the people around as they shook their heads with a smile. He was searching for the last member he considered family just as his eyes caught him in his peripheral vision as he approached him.

Instead of stopping at Oliver, Oscar continued walking until he stopped at Delilah's side. Oliver heard snippets of their chat as he figured that Oscar was asking her for a dance, with a blush and a small laugh, she nodded. Oscar beamed as he took her hand and led her to the dance floor.

Oliver felt his insides flutter with happiness as he realizes that his entire family was okay, safe and joyous tonight. He wouldn't want to be anywhere else tonight, not even curled up in bed reading his favorite book.

So, for the first time since he knew enough how to think, he allowed himself to relish the feeling of his entire family together, happy and the safest that it could get.

***

This is so great. I love how it is written from the perspective of Oliver. I've always felt bad that his character is so underappreciated, so this is awesome. It's written very well, and it flows amazingly. I love how you have expanded on his character, and made him really curious.

(Do you have a name for it??)