CHAPTER #1

When she had wanted to fly as a child, it wasn't like this.  Sadly she stared out at the clouds as the plane gained altitude.  These last few days just wouldn't erase from her mind but Tara wished it could.  When she was sixteen, Sammy would have helped her through this and she missed him badly, God rest his soul.  It didn't matter if she tried to sleep, watched the movie or looked at the sun setting. The image was burnt into her eyes. Calling Kat, had been the first thing Tara had done, but her friend was in the middle of filming a movie.  Next she called Abigail, but the company was touring in Europe and the call was cut short.  Going home wasn't an option either, because he'd spent every holiday there with her.  What had made Ethan call her when he had, she didn't know, but it was perfect timing.  He needed inspiration and she needed to escape.  

"I'm glad you had the time to come," Ethan said as he met her at the arrivals airport terminal.

She nodded, "thanks for inviting me."

He took her luggage and she followed him to his car.  Ethan knew immediately something was wrong, but didn't ask.  Instead he filled her in on his life in Barcelona and his work.  The car ride from the airport was only 20 minutes to his apartment near Park Guell.  Then a short walk and they were at his studio flat.  Tara liked how it was modern and yet elegant.  The layout was efficient and open concept.  It had a small balcony overlooking a courtyard.  But best of all, it had big windows to let the sun in.

"This is a nice flat," Tara complimented.

"Thanks, my favourite feature other than the view, are the hardwood floors.  Wes and I use to move the furniture to the wall and then Abigail could dance.  It helped when planning our choreography."  Ethan led her to another door, "and this is the guest room...er.. your room, for as long as you want it."

"I hope your girlfriend doesn't mind me being here," Tara said, fishing for information.

"Who has time for a girlfriend?"  Ethan laughed.

Tara turned around and looked him over from head to toe.  "Okay who are you and what have you done with Ethan?"

He gave her his trademark smirk, "too many girls to tie me down to just one."

She smiled for the first time and threw the pillow at him.

"How goes it with Christian?"

Ethan watched the smile fall and her emotion turn off.  That was the face that Abigail had worn most of the time at the academy.  He was sorry he'd asked and changed the subject.  "Get unpacked and I'll show you around Barcelona, unless you're jet lagged."

"No I'm fine," she replied.  Tara was glad he left her alone for a few minutes.  After she had put her things in the dresser and closet, she came out of the room.  "I'm ready if you are."

He nodded, "Barcelona has lots of impressive parks and buildings.  I hope you're up for a walk."

Tara raised an eyebrow at him in disbelief, "says the guy who drives a car."

Ethan's tour took them to Parc de la Ciutadella. Tara's smile came back at the zoo and the Natural History Museum.  She didn't really care about the church or boating lake, but she did like the bandstand.  It was a big park and as expected, she liked the green space. Next they went to Castell de Montjuic, which had once been a Military museum and now the castle was home to the International Peace Centre.  They walked through the castle, climbed the battlements to look out at the fabulous view and then had a picnic lunch in the wide moat.  Ethan bought them coffee at the cafe in the Plac de Arms.

"Wow, Barcelona is so beautiful.  I can see why you love it here," Tara said.

"Are you glad now that we rented bicycles?"