CHAPTER #9

In the morning, when Tara went to have a shower, Ethan changed his sheets.  He wanted to tell her he loved her, always had, but he wanted her to say it first.  A part of him still didn't believe she was over Christian, even after what she'd given him last night. Tara came out of the bathroom in her towel.  When she saw Ethan, she dropped the towel.  He picked her up in his arms and carried her back to his room.  Their passion resulted in her having to take another shower, but this time he joined her.

That's how his first week off was spent; in bed.  He joked about turning her into a nymphomaniac.  She just wanted to be near him and connected, because soon she'd have to return to Australia.  Tara was already partially packed, with a newspaper clipping of Ethan's performance at the CCCB, sitting on top of her clothes.  The last part of the summer she wanted to return home and be with her parents.  She again invited Ethan to join her and he agreed for his last week off.  He wanted to have a private conversation with her father and this visit would be the perfect opportunity.

On the flight, Tara asked Ethan about 'So You Think You Can Dance Australia'.  He explained that the show had a tiered format where the dancers of many styles entered open auditions.  If they were allowed to move forward, they were put through additional rounds of auditions to test their ability to do different styles.  At the end of the auditions, twenty dancers would begin the main phase.  From there they were reduced to ten finalists.  The finalists would perform solo, duet and group dance numbers in various styles.  First the judges would decide who stayed and then the audience viewing the broadcast would vote.

"What kind of styles?" Tara asked.

"Your solo is which ever style you're best at.  Then throughout the competition it could include classical, contemporary, ballroom, hip-hop, street, club, jazz and some musical theatre styles." Ethan first explained and then asked his own question, "why so curious about that show?"

"I heard some of the dancers from Kat's graduating class last year, talking about auditioning for it.  You know, those who didn't get a contract with the company."

"That makes sense, since only 18-35 year old dancers can audition.  I hear it's hard, but at the same time gives the dancers great exposure and experience with other forms of dance. I'd love to be a choreographer on that show, but Dad always put it down."

She rolled her eyes.  "Your dad doesn't know everything.  Do you know who the judges are?"

"Hmm  Carrie Bickmore... no wait she was the host..... Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison and Aaron Cash.  Rumour has it Paula Abdul will be a guest judge also.  The dancers at Sammy's should audition too."

"Like Kayla.  She'd have the hip-hop and street styles covered.  Christian has been teaching her ballet basics and she's pretty good at contemporary," Tara admitted.

Ethan looked over at her.  "Are you going to compete at the end of your third year or take a company contract if it's offered?"

She shrugged, "I don't know.  Before my back injury, I wouldn't have thought about anything except getting that contract.  But so much has changed, ballet isn't everything.  I love performing on stage and learning new styles of dance."

"It would give you a lot of experience in a short time and give you great networking opportunities.  I think there is a $250 000 cash prize at the end of the show if you win.  You'll also be a feature in some dance magazine and have the title of Australia's favourite dancer.  Some even get contracts for ad campaigns.  Not to mention meeting a big group of new dancers. And the show runs for a few months, instead of years."

"Do you think I should do it?" Tara asked.

"That I can't answer for you, it's your choice.  Watch some episodes of it and see.  What I can offer, is to choreograph your solos.  You'll need a few, because once you're in, if you get the least votes you dance for your life."