Chapter 2

Julia's P.O.V:

I stood on the stage, my eyes hovering over the thousands and thousands of people in district 12. I looked over at Harry, the boy that was picked for my district. He seemed perfectly fine, grinning at everyone. I reminded myself that I would be a career, and that I would have a large pack. People from 1, 2 and 4. I took another deep breath and forced a smile. "Happy Hunger Games," our Capitol representative, Effie Trinket made herself heard over thousands of cheering men, women, and children, "And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

My mother, Amy, and then my older sister, Megan, hug me goodbye, tears beginning to form in their eyes. My mother finally cannot take it anymore, and she gets off the train after she bade me a farewell. Megan stayed a while longer.

"Julia, you can win. You are talented and I believe in you. Win for me, Julia, or die trying. Okay?" Megan's voice was barely a whisper. I nod.

"I am smart and I can be better once I practice." I told Megan.

"Yes. And so you know, whatever weapon you choose, I will follow you in once it comes my turn to volunteer. Okay?" Megan asks. I nod again and Megan hugs me, then fingers a small charm. "Here." Megan wipes her eyes and hands me the charm.

Its a dagger. Megan hands me a bracelet. I smile weakly.

"Thank you." I said.

"Just try to win." Megan smiled.

"Happy Hunger Games." I clipped the charm on the bracelet and slipped it on my wrist.

"And may the odds be ever in your favor." Megan imitated Effie's funky voice. I laughed.

"Good bye, Megan." I whispered.

"Good bye, Julia. Stay strong and make sure that the others feel the wrath of the invincible River Julia" Megan says, walking away. I tear slips down my cheek but I quickly wipe it away. Then, the doors close and the train slowly begins the trip to the Capitol. I sit at the window and cry silently. The tears flow flow my face and make their own little river Julia. I wipe the tears away quickly, and then wash myself off before going into the dining car with Harry, Effie, and some victors from past Hunger Games that were in district two. I looked at the food for a moment, before grabbing a plate and filling it up. I poured some water for myself and then sat down. My brown hair was in a royal braid and I was wearing a simple black dress. The first thing in my drawer. I slowly ate my food, mostly listening to the others talk. The victors were talking about their time in the arena and Effie and Harry were talking about what they might do for district two for the tribute parade this year. When I was done, I set my napkin down and walked back to my car. I washed my hands and changed into something comfier. I brushed my teeth and washed my face quickly, and then climbed into bed. I was tired and tomorrow would be a big day. In a few minutes, I was asleep.

.

.

.

.

Sunlight streamed into the window. I never noticed the window until now, and I wondered why I would have a window.

That, was when I realized I was awake, as I was always curious. I yawned and stretched, as I sat up. I quickly changed into a blue shirt with some black pants. I walked down to breakfast, rubbing my dagger charm. I slid open the glass door and stepped inside. Light filtered through the entire car. I sat down at the table and slid a plate of pancakes over. I ate them little by little, focusing on my sisters words... "Win for me, Julia, Megan had said, Win for me or die trying."

If I don't win I will die, I thought, Because this isn't some stupid race. This is a matter of life and death. I sighed and looked out the window. My eyes widened. We were here. Officially here. Just outside this window, I was getting my first glimpse at the richest, finest, fanciest, best place in all of Panem.

The Capitol.