Chapter 4

The room was filled with survival things I'd never even thought about using. I ran from station to station in wonder. I hadn't even noticed that more people had begun to come in. I inspected golden spears and sharpened wooden knives. I turned around and saw that a woman was beginning to talk, so I ran over and joined the group. The woman was talking about how you should do the survival techniques and the fighting stations. Then she released us, and I ran over to the throwing knives.

The weapon I chose, since it was my sisters best weapon. I rubbed the charm on my bracelet and grabbed a knife.‘The targets began flashing on the ones I was to hit. I threw the knives with my best aim, hitting most of them in the center of their hearts, and few were off. One tore right threw the dummy. ‘The dummies then retreated back to their dull, starting positions and I left the knives their and went to the plants section. I did the best I could, and learned more, doing the station over and over, until I could remember everything off the top of my head. I scouted the area. I was determined to do everything so I calculated about 5 minutes at each station, and saving the most time for throwing knives.

I was worst at either the camouflage (Not that I'd need it), or at throwing spears. Of course, I was best at throwing knives, which I spent most of time at.

"Yo, Julia!" I heard Megan R's voice and the sound of about five people's footsteps walking to me. ‘The career pack; Jason,

Megan Rotherham, Niall Horan, Calum Hood, and Barbara Palvin.

"Yes?" I replied, continuing throwing the knives.

"You are a career, right?" Niall asked.

"Sure?" I say it like a question.

"Good. Because you might be first to die. One person taken care of." Megan R says with ease. I clench my fists and grit my teeth, but I just say with serenity,

"Alright, or should I just murder you in your sleep?"

"Whatever." ‘The career pack walks away and I roll my eyes in disgust. I would not be able to live with them. I should just kill them in their sleep, the fact how creept that sounded I didn't even feel the slightest bit sorry. It seemed like a good choice anyway. I shook my head and walked back to the climbing station, since throwing knives, well, I had deadly aim. I started up the tree and got to the top quickly. I got ready to jump to the next tree and then leapt to the largest branch on the tree. I hit someone and I tumbled to the center of the tree.

"Ow!" I muttered.

"Sorry!" Someone squeaked. I turned to get a better look at the person.

It was a girl about my age, with long brown hair and brown eyes. We studied each other for a moment, before I stuck out my hand and said, "Julia."

"Jade Thirwall." ‘The girl shook my hand. I recognized her as the girl from district 11. She must have recognized me, as well, because she drew her hand back sharply and had a nervous, wild, scared look in her eyes.

"I won't attack you." I said. "I may be from district twelve, but I'd rather team up with a squirrel than those careers."

"But how do I know to trust you?" Jade studied me.

"You don't and you shouldn't, probably. Unless we get to know each other, which..." I reply.

"Doesn't seem like a bad idea. VVhat are your strengths?" Jade finished for me.

"Throwing knives." I say instantly, figuring I had nothing to lose anyways. I had no chance of winning. "And I can climb and do archery pretty well. You?"

"I can climb too. The children in my district do that all the time. And I'm okay with using a small dagger." Jaderesponds.

"Weaknesses? I am terrible at camouflage and throwing spears." I inquire.

"A loooot of weapons." Jade replies, keeping the answer vague. I don't blame her, she doesn't fully trust me yet, although something about her makes me trust her.

"What is your favorite color?" She asks.

"Green. You?" I say, taking a bit of time to think.

"Blue." Jade is quick to respond. We sit there for a whle, asking random questions and getting answers. Soon, I had learned that Jade was the second oldest in her family, with 2 sisters and 2 brothers. Her mother and father worked very hard, and so did she and her siblings. 2 of her siblings were to old to be reaped, 2 were to young, and one was very, very sick. I told her that I had an older sister, Megan, and my father was ill. He stayed home much of the time, while my mother worked.

Jade and I began to trust each other more and more, until I finally asked the question that was on my mind. "Allies?" I asked.

"Thought you'd never ask." Jade grinned. We leaped off the tree, and I was glad that I had one real ally.