Chapter 1: An Unexpected Meeting

Laura's P.O.V

'I'm utterly exhausted.' I complained to myself.
I started over to the produce section in the grocery store. Without looking up, I bumped into someone and couldn't help but yell at them.

"Why don't you watch where your going you idiot!" I screeched.

"What in God's name are you doing?!" I heard a familiar voice shout back.

"John?"

"Laura?"

I looked up to see a familiar face: Dr. John Watson.

"Sorry, I've had a rather bad day." I tried to explain.

"I understand! Work was hard for me too." He replied.

"Love the sweater!" Said John.

"Thanks, yours too!" I giggled, as we
were wearing relatively the same knitted oatmeal sweater.

"So, about the flat?" I questioned.

"Yes, yes the flat!"

I had previously asked John if he knew of any good flats I could rent, and it turned out there was a flat that I could share with a friend of a friend. On top of that, it was downstairs from his.

"Its yours if you wouldn't mind sharing it." He replied.

I smiled at him and we left together.

*****

"Sherlock? I'm home!" John yelled while putting down his bags.

"Is Mrs. Hudson in?" John shouted up the stairs.

"You can check for yourself, I'm conducting an experiment." replied a deep voice.

"Show me the flat!" I said eagerly to John.

He led me to a locked door and pulled out a key from behind the wallpaper. He stepped over and unlocked it. It was a beautiful flat, well lit and stylish; obviously a girl lived here. I could hear footsteps gradually coming closer. I turned around to see a woman with an all black outfit and brown hair in a high ponytail came sprinting into the room and quickly grabbed a laptop, propped it on a counter and triumphantly yelled:

"SHERLOCK, I'VE FOUND IT!"

She spun on her heals saw me and stopped, utterly stunned.

"S-sabina?" I questioned.

Her face lit up with recognition.

"Oh hello! Long time no see! Here for the flat?"

I couldn't even respond.

"D'you remember me?" I questioned.

"Of course I remember you! Not much, it's been many years... but well enough. How's the job at the hospital going?"

I looked up and stared at her, then at John as he said:

"Yeah, she does that. Like Sherlock. But you haven't met him... um... Yet." John whispered.
I shuffled my feet and looked up, getting over the surprise in the blink f an eye. I couldn't even tell what I was feeling. Sad, happy, betrayed maybe? It had been so many years ago when she left me.

"27 years." I said, not happy or sad.

"Oh Laura. Really? Why are you wearing that hori-" She looked at John and stopped.

He was crossing his arms with a very unimpressed look. She looked back to me and down at my sweater.

"What is it?!" I said a little too loud.