ℂℌɑ℘ɫℯɾ 6

The smell of cooked lamb and freshly picked salad fills the room as soon as we walk in.

I follow Esma down the narrow white hallway to an open dining and kitchen area. That's where I saw a young woman, looking similar to Esma but a few years older. Sat in the high chair was a young child, with blond hair and a dinosaur t-shirt.

"EMA HOME!" The loud toddler shouted at his chair causing his mother to turn her head towards us.

"Hey Noah!" Esma exclaimed.
I watch as the the toddler smiled back while shoving its face with pasta.

"Hey sis." The woman smiled at Esma. "I started making a roast for you once you finished work."

Esma thanked her, even though she never actually went to work today.

The woman turned to me, raising her eyebrows and giving Esma a slightly different look. "Or instead of going to work, maybe you went on a date?"

"What? No!" Esma immediately said. I shook my head, chuckling.
"He's just a... work colleague."

Her sister looked between us curiously. "Well, he's cute."
She comes out of the kitchen, coming towards me.
"I'm Allison, Esma's sister."

"I'm Everton." I say smiling while I shake her hand. Once she lets go, she turns to the toddler sitting in the high chair.

"Noah, don't throw your pasta on the floor. Geez child." She says, walking over and bending down to collect the thrown food.

Esma walked into her kitchen, looking around, smelling the steam of cooked lamb and potatoes. "What's the special occasion?" Esma questioned Allison.

Allison looked up and smiled. "Oh nothing, just wanted to do something nice for lunch. Are you staying for lunch?" She asks me.

I nod and smile, "Yes, thank you."

"More the merrier!" Allison exclaims.

In ways, Esma looks similar to her sister, but very different in attitude. I feel like Esma is more lonely, then sad.
Not in a 'romantic way' but in a way that you just need a friend.
During this month, that's what I'll be. Well, try to.

"Take a seat guys, I'll serve it up." Allison says to us.

Esma eyes her sister curiously before taking a seat. I take the one next to her which is next to Noah.
He looks at me blankly but mesmerised. He has pasta with cut up lamb in his bowl with a small bottle of water.
I must admit, he looked pretty cute. I could see the link with Allison, he has her eyes.

A lamb, salad, potatoes and a pasta dish was set out on the table in front of us. The smell was incredible. I've never had a family dinner like this. And it's not even with all the family.

"Yeee, okay, okay." Allison smiles at both of us.

"I knew it! I knew something was up!" Esma yelled smiling.

Allison grinned then exclaimed aloud, "I'm pregnant!!"

"Awww congratulations, I can't believe I'll have another niece or nephew!!"Esma happily said, hugging her sister.

"Congratulations, your second?" I smile at her.

"Yes! Thank you guys." She clasped her hands in excitement.

"Ema baby in tummy?" Noah suddenly says.

Allison laughs. "No baby, mummy has a baby in her tummy." She corrects and points at her stomach.

Noah smiles at his mother and bangs his spoon on the high chair. "EMA AND MUMMA HAVE BABY IN TUMMY!"

Allison sighs and turns to us. "Don't worry, he thinks every female now has a baby in their stomach."

Esma laughs and I chuckle. 
Just to make it clear, Cupids have the same method for making children. Some children may not get the Cupid trait when it's parents are a hybrid.

"So anyway, I'm 3 months already and we are so excited!"
Allison says, continuing to eat her potatoes.

The food was delicious, the lamb was incredibly tasty. And the pasta dish was nothing like I've ever tasted before.
Esma and Allison were talking about baby stuff, so it was just me and Noah.

I turned to look at him, he was playing with the food in the bowl, mashing it with his hands.

"Do you get why women are so obsessed about babies?" I ask him.

No answer.

"You were a baby once, I mean, you should know these things." I say leaning the side of my head on my hand. I dig my spoon into the mash potatoes.

"You know what's funny?" I say to Noah, who glances at me before returning his eyes back to his food. "I'm going to be matching you one day. When your older." I say, spooning the potato into my mouth.

"Okay, now, I know your a baby, but how do you deal with your Aunt over here? Do I have to find a magical key to her mind or something? Not that I like her or anything. Just so we are clear." I say to Noah.

What am I doing? I'm talking randomly to a toddler who doesn't know much English.
But what if he understands me and dobbs me in? You never know what theses human children are capable of...

"So how did you two meet?" Allison asks aloud, for me to snap back into reality.

Esma looked at me wide eyed. I start to chuckle nervously. "Ahha funny ah story actually."
I clear my throat, looking down at my hands.
What do I say??

"Yeah it is," Esma coughs. "Well as you know, he's my colleague from work, so you know, one day-"
Allison is looking at her with a mixture of confusion, a slight smirk and curiosity.

I mentally facepalmed myself. Esma is making this conversation sound incredibly wrong. I cringe in my seat. Oh god, what if she thinks something completely different?
I imagine all the possibilities that could come out of this conversation...

1. Allison could exclaim:
"Oh my god! You guys fucked on the first day!! THIS IS HILARIOUS HAHAHAHHAH!"

That would be the worst of course.

2. She could say:
"Are you two a thing?! That's so cute!! omgness!"

I can actually imagine her saying that.

Or 3. She stays confused:
"I'm so confused... did you fudge? Kiss? What? Your making this really awkward for poor Everton."

Yes Allison, she is making this awkward for me.

I actually hope it's none of those.