ℂℌɑ℘ɫℯɾ 22

The silence was deafening.

After our... you know, Esma and I were quiet for the whole ride there.

The pod jolted once again, as the earth beneath us disappeared from under our feet. Small flashes of light flicker in the white space before slowly clearing to the view of the cupid world.

Esma stands, looking outside among the villages and the headquarters as we approach it. Knowing it might be the last time she gets to take it all in, she doesn't dare to look away.

The Cupid HQ grows bigger as we approach it, landing at the docking station level. Cupids gather there, rushing into their pods, trying to catch up on the days of work they had to miss.

The pod door opens. "Welcome back, Everton and Esma." Nevi says.

Esma waits for me to leave to pod first before she follows me out into the crowd. We reach the lift, going up to the matchmaking system level.

"About what happened..." Esma started as we wait for the lift to start. "I want to forget before I read who I have as a match."

I nod. "It would probably be best to wait."

The lift springs up quickly, opening up onto the level.

"Mr Jones." A older female cupid addressed me. "I have an update about Esma's match."

Esma and I both looked at each other nervously before following the lady to one of the computers.

I looked down at the system, instead of showing the countries of earth, it shows the cupid world. And its scanning.

That's when it hit me. I flood of relief almost.

"Her match is here." I whisper looking over at Esma's shocked face.

She looks at me, stunned. Hope sparkles in her eyes, hope that we could be together. But what if it's not me?

"Does it mean I can stay after all? Will I forget?" She asks eager for an answer.

"I'm not sure." I shrug, looking back at the screen.

"It will be finished in a few hours." The lady informs us before leaving.

Esma and I sit down on the two seats in front of the computer.

"I actually wrote myself a diary-"

"People still do those?" I ask surprised.

Esma rolls her eyes. "Well I do anyway. So if I did forget, I can read everything that happened in this last month."

I look at her. "Will you believe yourself though?"

She shrugs. "I don't know. But once I meet my match and he shows me the cupid world again, Then I'll have to believe it."

"The hard this is," she continues, "You'll probably see me around remembering everything still."

"I'll be fine." I lie.

"No you wont." she argues. "Until you find your match. You wont be fine, Everton."

"I'm in the process of finding mine actually. Should be nearly done after yours." I tell her. I click into my Matchmaking process, Esma and I both lean in reading the screen.

"20% mine is at. Yours is on 62%" I lean back.

Esma was right next to my ear, scanning the screen. she eventually leans back too in her chair.

~~~~

My iMatch buzzes on my wrist. I look down from the computer that Is almost complete with Esma's match.