ℂℌɑ℘ɫℯɾ 15

Finally an update!

"I feel like shit."

I place a glass of water onto her bedside table. I'm not quite sure how to fix a headache but I'm guessing water would help.

"Like, not shit shit, but still shit. Do you know what I mean?"

I don't say anything. I've never actually been hangover before. She grabs the glass and sculls the cold water down.

"So, what do I give you? Panadol? Chocolate? Soup? More water?" I question her.
She looks at me funny.

"For my headache?" She asks, frowning.

"No, for your little leprechaun friend in your pocket. Yes. Your headache." I say, amused.

"Well, so-rrey, Mr Sarcastic." She rolls her eyes.

I'm not sure if she remembers anything of that night. Either that or she does but pretending not to. It's hard to tell and it's hard to stop thinking about it every time I look at her. At her lips.

"My eyes are here, buddy."
She snaps me out of my thoughts. She frowns, pointing to her eyes.

What?
Did I look at her lips?
Her breasts? That would be worse.
I didn't mean to look at anything, I just dozed off into my thoughts.

"Sorry." I say looking at her beautiful eyes. Wait what?
Snap out of it Everton, what has gotten into you?

I need to get out of this room.

"I'll go get you something to eat."
I walked out of the room in a hurry, hoping she wouldn't call me back in.
I need a breather. Her scent is overpowering, making me dizzy.
I lean against the kitchen bench.

Please
Find her match. Hurry, before I fall.
I pray to that computer.

Then I can shoot myself with the repel arrow, and it will all be over. Our lives will go back to normal.

I plan to go and check on the system today. I cook up some pancakes on the stove, using my aunties recipe. The smell was making my stomach rumble and attracted Esma to crawl out of bed into the kitchen.

"They smell so good! Who taught you to cook? Mother? Siblings?" She asks me.

I pause, thinking of how to reply.
"Ah, I taught myself."

"Oh. Your very independent, aren't you?" She says.
I don't turn around to look at her, instead I keep my eyes on the pancakes and nod my head.

"I don't have any siblings... or a mother really."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

I turn around to meet her concerned gaze, "no no, it's okay." I assure her.

"What about your parents?" I ask suddenly. "Won't they be wondering where you are?"

"Well, not really. They ring occasionally, but not too often." She shrugs.
I stack the cooked pancakes on top of each other, drizzling syrup and chopped strawberries on the top.

"Wow, thank you." She smiles. "I didn't expect you to make a five star breakfast."

"No problem." I smile. "I'm going to check the system today."

"Oh, right." She says it like she'd forgotten all about it. I heard a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"What happens if it doesn't find a match? Even after it searches the Cupid world?" She asks, taking a bite of her pancake.

"Everyone has a match."

•••••

"It's searching the last few countries. Italy, Poland, Syria and Greenland." The Cupid beside me said.

"Then it will search the Cupid world. Lucky girl might be allowed to live here after all." He continues.

I stare at the computer screen. I don't click around or try to see if it's found any other information. One thing that's running through my mind is if she does find a match in the Cupid world... who will it be?

How will I be able to accept and forget when she lives where I will always see her?
I just hope some handsome Italian will sweep her off her feet so I can move on and forget.

We don't find our match until we are ready to. But if we have someone out there, then we can't leave it too long, otherwise they will age and we will still stay young.

A thought passes through my mind. A completely stupid thought.

I went on a free computer, typed in my log in details and set up my own matching system. Before I pressed start, I stared at the computer screen.

What if I am matched with someone else? What is it's not her?

I frowned. But what if it is?
I pressed start.
It started finding my match.

••••••

"Esma, I'm back." I called out.
Silence replied.
I walked into the bed she was sleeping in which was empty.
I searched around the house, calling her name.

Eventually I went back into the kitchen, seeing a note on the clear bench. I picked it up and read it.

Allison's having hospital check up,
Looking after Noah.
-E

Looking after a child while hungover? That doesn't sound like a very good combination.

I resisted the urge to go see her, to see if she was okay, to see if she needed help. I didn't want it to seem like I was hovering.

Maybe I should give her a call?
Yeah, that will be more reasonable.

I used my iMatch to find her number and started a call. On the third ring she picked up.

"Hello?" Her sweet voice came through.

"Ah, hi, it's Everton." I said awkwardly.

"Everton? How did you get my number?" She asks, surprised.

"You should know that by now." I smile.

"What- Noah, don't put that in your mouth- what did you want?"

"To see if your feeling okay? Is your headache better?" I question her, not wanting to sound too caring.

"Ah, yes it's better. Was that all?"

"Did you need any help with your nephew?" I ask.

There was silence before she spoke again. "Well I wouldn't mind having some company."

My heart increased, I put my hand over it in order to slow it down, but it didn't.

"Okay." I whisper. "I'll be over in ten seconds." I say in a more confident voice.

"Okay." She says softly.

I waited a few seconds before hanging up the call. My palms are sweaty and I suddenly have a reload of energy. I grab my jacket, unfold my wings and step off the ground into the sky.

I flew to the pod department centre, choosing a free pod.

"Where would you like to go, Everton?" The voice came through.

I synced the address, and the pod moved out of the resting bay.
I smile, finding it unusual for me to feel this energetic about seeing someone who I just only saw this morning.
"I think I'll need a lint ball for the way."