Chapter 4 - Pandora's Box

Pistol in her hand, safety off, Alex rolled out of bed. She could hear the whispering from the other room, a shuffle of feet; then something got knocked over. The next voice was hushed, but there was a distinctive expletive, perhaps a titter, and then someone was shushing someone rather unsuccessfully. Back pressed to the wall, Agent Danvers crept along the hallway with complete stealth. She reached the corner and took a quick peek around, seeing two figures hunched closely together. Making a quick decision, Alex crossed the open entryway to press herself against the other hallway wall and tuck in the corner once again out of sight. There seemed to be no response from the intruders, so she reached around the corner, squinting against the glare even as she flipped on the light and took aim.

"Hands in the air where I can see them, Motherfuckers! Nobody move!"

Her arms wrapped around a barely upright Maggie Sawyer, Lena Luthor stared over the slumped detective's shoulder with wide eyes. "I would, Agent Danvers, but I think I'd drop your girlfriend."

Slowly, Alex stepped fully into the doorway and lowered her weapon, clicking the safety back into place. "Lena?"

Swallowing hard, Lena nodded.

"What's wrong with her?" Alex asked, stowing the weapon into a drawer as she passed by it on her way to the other two women.

"Ah...she may have had a bit to drink," Lena replied with just a hint of a slur in her voice.

"Oh." Alex pulled to a stop just short of grabbing Maggie, scratching the back of her head as she took in the scene of the drunken heiress and the blitzed detective in front of her.

"A little help?" Lena urged. "For a small woman, she's fairly heavy. I'd bet she has a lot of muscle mass."

Alex smiled in a kindly, perhaps a bit of a playful, manner. "You'd win that bet. I'll take her." Grabbing Maggie under the arms, Alex spun the smaller woman toward her. "Come with me you lightweight."

"Hmmm? Who are you? Where we going?" Maggie slurred out as she stumbled toward the bedroom with Alex.

"We're going to bed. I'll help you get undressed and—"

Suddenly Maggie windmilled at Alex in an attempt to land a blow. "No! Not going to bed with you. No. Just Alex!"

"What the..." Alex swatted away from the wild attack. "Stop it, you idiot. I am Alex."

"Just Alex!" Maggie repeated, falling to the floor and finally stilling when Alex stepped back.

"I should have warned you of that. She got a bit physical with me in the car and clocked me one when she felt I was getting...inappropriate."

Alex surged closer to the CEO. "What were you doing?"

Hands up and stumbling slightly as she backed away, Lena replied, "Nothing, I swear nothing wrong. I was just putting her seatbelt on her. I don't know if it was something I said or the feel of it across her body, but she started yelling no and saying your name. Then she thumped me along the jaw, see?" Pointing to her jaw, Lena twisted her head.

Alex nodded, examining the area. "It's a little red, but it looks okay. How does it feel?"

"Fine. She's rather uncoordinated at the moment. I'm sure she could render me unconscious on a normal day, but not so thoroughly inebriated."

"You were just buckling her in?" Alex clarified.

"Agent Danvers, not only would I not make advances on someone in a relationship, but if I were to be the sort of person to do so, it would not be to the fiancée of my best friend's sister. And, if I were the sort of person to do both those things, I would still not be the kind which attempts to take advantage of an intoxicated woman." Patting Alex rather messily on the arm, Lena added, "No, I am not one of those things let alone all three, I assure you."