Chapter 13 - When it Reigns it Pours

Soooo...this is a long chapter. Grab a snack, hydrate, and maybe even stretch out. Don't start this a few minutes before you have to run out the door unless you're good with leaving a dangling chapter behind you (Gasp! Who does that?). Maybe it should have been two chapters. When revising and editing, I really wished it had been two chapters, but it felt like one chapter. Okay, enough posing. They're turning a corner here folks. Let's hope there are clearer skies ahead. What could possibly go wrong?

Gasp! She said it!

<><>

Leaning back on the couch in pajamas, Lena flipped through the channels. Kara sat down on the other corner of the couch. Looking at the bowl in the other woman's hand, Lena raised a brow and said, "Really?"

"What?"

"Popcorn? Is that what you were doing while I got changed?"

"I did the dishes too."

With a head shake, Lena said, "We just finished dinner, Kara, and you ate a huge dessert. You can't possibly be hungry still."

"Uh..." Sliding the bowl into the middle of the couch, Kara smiled. "I made enough to share."

"Liar," Lena said with a smile.

Kara winced, withdrawing the bowl.

"Kara, I—"

Shaking her head, Kara ran her fingers through the bowl of popcorn, pulling out a few pieces but dropping them back inside, uneaten.

"Kara, please, that was supposed to be a joke. I really am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

With a loud exhalation, Kara said, "Is it a good sign if you can make a joke about it?"

Reaching out, Lena said, "Come here."

Lifting her head, Kara held out the popcorn bowl. "Do you want some?"

"No, I'm actually quite full. I want you to come over here. Come on."

"You want me to sit next to you?" Kara asked, her brows furrowed tightly together.

"We always used to sit together and watch TV. You don't have to. Do what you want, but you look like you could use...something. There was a time when after you'd had a long day, being held was that something. Maybe I'm just not that someone anymore."

"No, you are," Kara said putting the popcorn on the table as she moved closer. "You are. I'm just surprised you want to—"

"Come here, Kara."

Sliding under Lena's arm, Kara rested her head on her friend's shoulder and relaxed immediately.

"Is this all right?" Lena asked.

"It is. It's nice."

Lena combed her fingers through blonde hair, feeling her friend relax even further under the touch. "I've missed you, Kara."

"But I'm right here."

"Then I've missed us."

"Me too. Do you still want that...us?"

There was a long pause as Lena seemed to arrange her thoughts. "I do. Kara Danvers isn't who I thought she was, and now I have to get to know this whole new person and see if she's someone I want an 'us' with. Do you understand that?"

"Maybe you'll like Kara Zor-El even better than Kara Danvers."

"Kara," Lena said with a note of disapproval. "I couldn't possibly like anyone more than Kara Danvers. She's my favorite."