Chapter 21 - Genie in a Bottle

Lena was the little spoon curled into Kara on Eliza's bed. There had been no tears from the young Luthor, merely blank stares as she clung tightly to Kara for comfort. Gentle kisses and reassuring words had been given, and eventually, Lena had relaxed enough to let the heaviness of sleep overtake her. Still, Kara stayed there for well over an hour until she was certain that Lena was well and truly asleep.

Carefully lifting the younger woman, Kara carried Lena down to the other room. She laid her in Kara's bed and removed Lena's shoes. Kara paused, hands over Lena's pants in the interest of sleeping comfort but then moving them away as relationship guidelines hadn't really been established here. Pulling up the blanket, Kara covered the other woman and applied a kiss to Lena's forehead.

"Sleep well, sweetheart."

Grabbing the extra blanket and pillow from the still broken bed, Kara made her way downstairs where her foster mother was dozing on the chair.

Eliza yawned. "I was about ready to curl up on the couch and call it a night. A few more minutes and I would have turned into a pumpkin."

Kara pointed at Eliza. "That's a Cinderella reference. I saw that movie."

"Thank goodness for your Disney addiction." Stretching, Eliza stood. "How is she?"

"Asleep and in my bed. Sorry to have kept you out of your room for so long, but I wanted to make sure she fell asleep and stayed asleep. She's had a rough few ... life I guess."

Squeezing Kara's forearm, Eliza replied, "She's not the only one. How are you?"

"Fine. I'm just worried about her. Anything with her mom just sets Lena off. I mean, it's good to have Lillian not out there but going through another trial ..." Rubbing the back of her neck, Kara shook her head. "Lena will need our support."

"She has that. You know that, right?"

"You've been amazing to her, Eliza. I can't thank you enough."

"You don't have to. It's obvious how much you care about her, but even if it weren't, Lena is a wonderful person. She deserves our help just for who she is, not for who she is to you."

Nodding, Kara said, "I'm sorry we lied to you."

"Me too. No more, okay?"

"Definitely." Smiling broadly, Kara added, "Lena and I are dating. Can you believe that?"

"I did both times you told me."

"Heh. Right. Sorry. This time I mean it though. This time we're really dating like for real." Hand to the middle of her chest, Kara said, "I'm dating Lena Luthor. That's like ... awesome."

Laughing, Eliza hugged Kara briefly. "Although I'd love to continue this intellectual discussion with you for hours, I'm a middle-aged human and not a solar-powered alien. I need my sleep. Can we pick this up in the morning?"

"Oh, sure, sure." As Eliza headed for the stairs, Kara said, "Hey, Eliza? I was thinking I'd like to take Lena on a real date tomorrow. Would that be okay?"

"If it's okay with Lena. Go into town and have fun, just not too much fun."

Kara shrugged. "How much fun can we have in town?"

"Oh, sweetie." Leaning on the banister, Eliza replied, "I remember being young and in love. There was this one time Jeremiah borrowed a VW bug to take me on a date to a movie. Well, we were running late for the movie anyway, and we parked in the parking lot of the theater and thought no one was around so—"