Chapter 15 - A Whale of a Tale

Once they were both dressed, and a brief discussion had been had, Kara and Lena decided to bite the bullet and tell Eliza that not only were they not engaged, they weren't even dating. Given how off course their friendship had gotten due to deceit, honesty seemed the best policy. With subdued moods and a touch of nervous energy, the duo descended the stairs to be greeted by the smell of cookies baking and Eliza elbow deep in a box of Christmas ornaments.

"Oh, you're decorating?"

Smiling up at Kara's question, Eliza shook off the garland that clung to her pajama sleeve as she stood. "Of course! I've got kids home now. It's the second best Christmas present I received. You know what the best is, don't you?"

Eyeing each other with shared anxiety, neither Kara nor Lena responded.

"A happy daughter," Eliza said as she advanced on Kara, hugged her, and rocked her back and forth. Then, grabbing Lena in a hug, Eliza repeated the motion and said, "And a happy future daughter-in-law." Stepping back, she placed a hand on either girls' shoulder. "You girls, the two of you together, are the best present I could have received. Everything in your families says you shouldn't be a couple. You shouldn't even be friends. Yet here you are beating the odds. You're showing that faith, and hope, and love are stronger than anything. I don't think I realized how much I needed that until I had you both in the kitchen with me this morning and it felt just...perfect." With a squeeze, Eliza sighed happily. "Thank you for this gift."

As Eliza smiled, both girl instinctively joined hands.

Running a hand down each of the ladies' arms, Eliza took their free hands into hers. Her smile faltered as she looked down, examined the hands in hers, then the ones they held clasped together as best she could, before looking back up. "Girls, where are your rings?"

"Oh...uh...Well, actually, the things is, Eliza—"

"In negotiation," Lena interrupted, breaking her hand free from Kara's and combing through her hair with practiced ease. "You see, the diamond I want for Kara is proving a bit of a sticky wicket. I have my heart set on domestic, and as you likely know there are no real U.S. mines anymore. Plus, it has to be perfect." Lena smiled up at Kara sweetly. "Just like her."

As Kara swallowed hard, Eliza pushed forward eagerly and asked, "What exactly are you trying to get?"

"Oh, have you heard of the Strawn-Wagner Diamond?" Lena asked casually, glancing down at her fingernails before looking up to see Eliza's head shake. "No? I'm not surprised. It's a bit of Americana, but an amazing find nonetheless. The Crater of Diamonds is located in Murfreesboro, Arkansas. It closed down for commercial mining in the early 1900s, but tourists can mine there for just a few dollars. They keep anything they find, though most find little of value. However, in 1990, Ms. Shirley Strawn found a 3.09-carat diamond. After cutting, it was reduced to 1.09carats."

"Oh, well that sounds lovely," Eliza said smiling sweetly.

"Actually, it's flawless," Lena said, gaze flashing to Kara, who watched her warily, before returning to Eliza. "It was graded a perfect 0/0/0 by the American Gem Society and graded perfect by the Gemological Institute of America. It's considered to be one-in-a-billion. It's not quite as rare as Kara, but..." As she turned toward Kara, Lena gentled. Her smile became easy, and her voice soft as it flowed between them. "...I suppose it will have to do."

Kara smiled back just as sweetly, her mood so swept up in what was perhaps just Lena's affected affections that she was slightly startled when Eliza spoke.

"What about Lena's ring. You are both getting one, aren't you?"

Blinking rapidly, Kara said, "Saturn."