Chapter 14 - Midvale

"Eliza?" Several bags in hand, Kara stepped into her first home on Earth and looked around in the darkness. She placed some of the luggage on the ground, flicking on a light. "Eliza!?" There was no response.

Checking the time on her phone, Lena said, "It's only 8:42. Does you foster mother go to bed this early?"

Eyes closed, Kara concentrated for a moment then shook her head. "No one's home. Close the door." As Lena did so, Kara pulled out her phone and made a call, "Hey, Alex, did you get in touch with Eliza?"

"I tried, but all I got was her voicemail. What's up?"

"She's not home."

"Oh, well, she had a conference this week. Maybe she's not back yet. Just relax and hang out. I'm sure Mom will be back soon. You two all right?"

Looking over at Lena, Kara smiled, hesitantly. "We're fine, thanks. If Eliza calls you before she calls me, let me know, okay?"

"Yeah, fine, fine. Just relax, okay? No one knows where you two are. Just enjoy Christmas in Midvale."

"Okay, thanks, Alex. Hey, if you hear anything—"

"I'll let you know. Now hang up and have fun showing your girlfriend around."

Eyes flicking back to Lena, Kara swallowed hard. "Bye, Alex."

"Later, Kara."

Disconnecting, Kara said, "Eliza hasn't checked in with Alex yet. She had a medical conference this week. We don't know when she'll be back."

Lena stiffened. "Should we be here? We could get a hotel."

"Oh, no. It's fine," Kara said. "This is my home. Mi casa es su casa. Eliza would want us to be here. It's fine, really."

"You're sure?"

"Why wouldn't it be? Eliza is like a mother to me."

Examining her hands for a moment, Lena smirked as she met Kara's gaze again. "Even at the best of times, my mother was a fan of calling ahead and making plans. I suppose our best of times was never the best. However, if you're sure your foster mother won't mind..."

"She'd be mad if we left," Kara assured as she turned on the hall light and picked up the bags again. "Follow me."

"Are you sure I can't help? I can carry my own bags, Kara."

Kara shook her head. "Oh, they don't weigh anything. I mean, literally, they feel like nothing to me. You want a piggyback ride? I can carry you too."

"I'll pass, but thank you."

"Okay, but you can take a raincheck. I fly Alex on my back all the time. She loves it."

"To each their own," Lena mumbled.

At the top of the stairs, Kara headed down the hallway until she toed open a door on her right. She entered the dark room leaving Lena to flick on the light behind her. Inside were two twin beds, one on the right side of the room and one on the left. Kara placed suitcases on each one.

"So, this is Alex's," Kara gestured, "and this one is mine. You get Alex's bed."

Looking at the science poster hanging over the one bed and the kitten on the screen door poster hanging over the other, Lena smiled. "Thanks for telling me. I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. So, what's the first order of business around here?" Lena placed her laptop bag on the bed that had been designated as hers for the trip.