Chapter 11 - Family

"Hi."

Lena looked up at the person who stopped at her office door, a small, white, cardboard box in hand.

"Detective Saw...Maggie." Lena smiled. "Did we have an appointment?"

"A friend can't just stop by with muffins?" Maggie asked raising the box and closing the door behind her as she entered the room.

"I...suppose." Lena watched Maggie sit down in the chair across from her, depositing the box on her desk. "So, this is a social visit?"

"What else would it be?"

"All right. Well, I have a little bit of time until--"

"You don't have another appointment until 11:00. We have plenty of time to chat." Popping open the box with a grin, Maggie said, "Muffin? They're vegan."

Lena eyed the muffins for a moment, then Maggie. Picking up her phone, she hit a button. "Eve, bring me a coffee, would you? And for Detective Sawyer...? How do you take your coffee, Maggie?"

"Ah, soy milk and two sugars?"

Lena nodded. "A coffee with soy milk and two sugars for the detective. Thank you, Eve." Hanging up, Lena opened a drawer and pulled out a few napkins, handing some over to Maggie and then putting some on the desk for herself as she put a muffin on hers. "So, a social visit. Is this about Kate or Kara?"

Looking up from the muffin she had just placed on her napkins, Maggie met Lena's gaze and replied, "Yeah, it is beautiful weather today. One of the perks of living in National City, I agree. Alex? Well, she's doing great, thanks for asking. Did you catch the Padres game the other night?"

Leaning back in her chair, Lena nodded. "All right. I apologize. I assumed you were here to grill me about your friend or your fiancée's sister. Kara is the only one that has made any real effort in being a friend to me and..." Looking past Maggie, she frowned.

Maggie looked over at Kara who sat typing on her laptop in the main area and didn't seem to be paying them any mind. Returning her attention the Lena, Maggie asked, "What's the matter, hun? I thought you two were doing better."

"Oh, it's fine."

"Um, specially trained police detective here. I'm pretty good at observing and picking out deception. You're not okay. Whatever is going on with you and Kara isn't okay. Want to talk about it?"

"With Kara's future sister-in-law? Pass."

"I don't have to tell Alex everything you know. I can keep a confidence if it's the right thing to do."

"Let's not put you in that situation."

"Lena--"

"Maggie, it's fine, really. Things with Kara are...they're fine. They're not ideal, but they're fine. Just work on catching this assassin, so Kara and I can go back to our own lives. Can you do that for me?"

"Is that what you want?"

"Do I want you to catch the assassin? Is that a joke?"

"That's not what I mean." Maggie scooched her chair in a little closer to the desk. "Do you want to go back to your normal life, your life without Kara?"

"Well, she'll still be around. I bought the damn company where she works. At least until I hire a new CEO here, I'll be--"

"Are you going to?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you going to hire a new CEO of Catco once we catch Janković? Do you not want to see Kara every day anymore?"