onze

-          yerin strode down the sidewalk, past well-lit shops and parked cars with frost on their windows. the day was becoming dimmer by the second, but she loved this time: the moments before the streetlights cast their glow onto the pavement, when the world was painted in shades of warm grey and everything was cool and quiet. people were returning to their homes, and you could feel their joy in the air, muted by the cold.

but as she approached the little café, her heart rose in her throat. she knew that jeon jeongguk was in that building up ahead, waiting—impossibly enough—for her. yerin couldn't help but hold her breath as she pushed the little door open.

and of course he was already there at the little table in the corner, glancing over at her with an eager smile. the sounds of clinking mugs and lulled conversation were as inviting as always, but yerin hardly heard them as she walked over and sat across from jeongguk at the little round table.

"hey," he said.

"hey," said yerin, looking at the canvas and pencils on the table with interest. "fancy."

jeongguk raised his eyebrows with a smile. "not really. it's just what i could find in the painting room."

"so." yerin laced her fingers together and looked at him expectantly. jeongguk's eyes were dark brown, almost black, but they shone from behind with a startling brightness. it's like staring into the sun, yerin thought. but with him, it's hard to look away.

"all i want to do today is get a basic contour," jeongguk was saying. "so you just have to find a position you like. i didn't bring paints, so we don't need to do lighting or anything, which is good 'cause it's a pain."

"how do you want me?" yerin asked, suddenly conscious of her body.

"you can—hmm," jeongguk furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head to one side. he reached out one hand, but stopped himself mid-air. "do you mind?"

"of course not," yerin said, trying to mask the tremor in her voice. jeongguk ever-so-gently placed one hand on her chin, guiding her to the angle he wanted.

"good," he said finally. "do you think you can sit like that for awhile?"

yerin took note of her shoulders, the  position of her neck and chin. it was such that her eyes were looking at jeongguk, while her face was pointing slightly to the right. "yeah. it feels natural."

"perfect," jeongguk said with a smile, picking up his pencil. "thank you. i'll try to be as fast as i can."