vingt-huit

-          jeongguk.

jeongguk, i wanted -

jeongguk, this is for you.

hi, jeongguk. i wanted to tell you -

jeongguk, i made you this. to say thank you.

hey, jeongguk, it's me.

yerin's walk across campus felt like it took seconds. now she was at his door, and despite the hours of practicing, she had no idea what she was going to say to him. she felt light-headed.

jeongguk. his name was a secret her heart had been keeping her whole life.

yerin watched her hand reach out and knock. once, twice. a tired-looking jeongguk opened the door, wearing grey sweatpants and a startled expression.

"yerin, hi," he managed, running a hand through his messy hair. "it's good to see you. do you want to come i—"

"jeongguk, wait," yerin interrupted. "i have something to say. right now."

"okay...?" he leaned onto the doorframe, eyes wide and curious.

"i wanted...to thank you. you've been such a great friend this semester..." yerin felt like she was forgetting every word she knew. "it hasn't been easy for me to get used to college, either. i'm shy, i prefer to spend time by myself...most people see right through people like me. but you—" yerin felt her voice falter, but kept going. "you didn't care. you saw me as someone worth talking to. i...without you...i'm trying to say that i really needed you, and you appeared out of nowhere. and i think i still do," she was crying now, "so please, please don't disappear again. please stay this time."

"yerin..." jeongguk took a step forward and pulled her close in a hug. he was warm, and smelled like cinnamon and vanilla.

"i'm not going anywhere."

"okay," yerin sniffed, regaining her composure. crying in front of him was not part of the plan, she reminded herself, and she had come here for a reason. "before i go, i have something for you."

she pulled out of the hug and reached into her bag. she was proud of how the scarf had turned out - soft, warm and just the right length. she had taken care to get every stitch right. yerin watched jeongguk's expression soften as he realized what she had made for him.

"it's so beautiful," he murmured, as yerin reached up to wrap it around his neck. "my favorite color...thank you, yerin."

she kept her arms around his neck, and for the first time had the courage to look deep into his eyes. he gazed back at her, warm and reassuring, as his hand slipped gently to her waist. their faces drew closer together, breathlessly, until their lips met.

the kiss was innocent, eager, soft, insistent. it confessed a lifetime of words unsaid.

jeongguk, i love you.