dix-huit

-          "y-yeah." yerin surprised herself at her own stammer.

jeongguk pushed open the window, and cold air slipped into the room. he stepped through the window, and pulled the blanket around him.

"come on, yerin. it's nice out here." yerin tentatively followed suit, and soon they were sitting side by side on the dark roof, swathed in puffy blankets. straight ahead was the side yard, a few trees and beyond that the other houses on the block. to their left was the street, the occasional drunk gaggle of college students tripping and laughing their way back home.

on the roof, yerin noticed, everything feels further away. the party, mina, the loud music all seems so infinitesimally small from up here.

"rooftops give you a whole new perspective," jeongguk seemed to have read her mind. "it's pretty amazing."

"i never thought you were the kind of guy that climbs onto the roofs of strange houses," yerin said into the dark. she heard jeongguk laugh next to her.

"i never thought you were the kind of girl that lets an almost-stranger take her onto the roof of a strange house."

"you think we're almost strangers?" yerin asked without thinking.

"i mean..."

"it's better than being complete strangers," she said quietly.

"definitely." yerin felt jeongguk looking at her, but she kept staring straight ahead.

the silence yawned between them, until jeongguk spoke again.

"i think...i'd like to be more than almost strangers."