vingt-six

- yellow light from the street lamps spilled onto the dark pavement as yerin made her way home. she was walking slowly, by her standards; usually she was bustling to that class or this study session, but tonight she just wanted to stop and savor the moment. those last few minutes with jeongguk had been precious, irreplacable. yerin was afraid that she'd blink and wake up from a blissful dream. but now she was strolling through the cool night, the breeze on her face reminding her that it was real life after all.

she was approaching a yarn shop - the bright balls of yarn were piled charmingly in baskets, and the colored wool was arranged so neatly on the shelves inside that yerin couldn't help but step in.

"we're closing in a few minutes, but feel free to have a look around," purred the woman behind the counter. yerin thanked her, and began to peruse the knitting supplies. she had never tried knitting before, but why not? it seemed easy enough.

the shopkeeper seemed to read her mind. "a first-timer?" she asked coolly.

"h-how did you know?" yerin stammered, caught off guard by the voice.

"you work here long enough, you can just tell," she laughed. "here, let me give you a hand."

for the next few minutes, she walked yerin through the basics, even demonstrating a simple knit stitch. she helped yerin select a pair of beginner's needles.

"i'd suggest worsted weight yarn for a beginner like you, so here's the shelf for that. the last step is to choose your yarn color, and then you're good to go."

yerin eyed the rainbow of colors before her. suddenly, it all made sense. she realized why she had come here.

"i'll take that reddish-pink color there."

"amaranthine?" the woman grinned, before noticing yerin's odd expression. "what's wrong? i'm glad you picked this one - it's dyed with the flowers of the amaranth plant. i think a scarf in this color would look stunning. don't you?"

"yes," yerin smiled. "i really do."

a/n. thank u to whoever is reading this ! i hope ur having as much fun as i am w this story ahh :)