Chapter 1

Diamond Sylvia Gold sat in her private jet, her French manicured fingers flipping through her Cosmo magazine. She had a virgin daiquiri in front of her, and her diamond encrusted phone next to it. She was dressed casually for the flight, in a Temperley London primrose floral dress and her Giuseppe Zanotti black heeled sandals. Her Burberry trenchcoat sat on the seat next to her, along with her clutch. A fourteen carrot white gold and diamond pendant sat on her throat, a gift from her mother.

The only other people on the plane were her brother and friend Sloane. Dalton was her twin, and he sat casually ahead of her, jamming to his music. Sloane sat directly across from her, her black manicured nails flipping through a Vogue magazine. Sloane's dad worked with Diamond's in the Senate, so they had been friends at a young age. Her mother was the French ambassador, and was also a descendant of the Kennedys.

Diamond's mother, however, was not in politics. She owned her own line of famous jewelry, the Gold Collection. The pendant Diamond wore was one of her mother's designs, made specifically for her. She was named after her mother's three favorite materials -- diamonds, silver, and gold. Her mother's sister, Aunt Gretchen, was a popular clothing designer. She was always sending Diamond designer clothes and asking her to be her model -- she was perfect for it; with her tall, slim figure, marvelous bone structure, pale blonde hair, and light blue eyes.

She sighed, having reached the end of her Cosmo. She got up and tapped her twin's shoulder. "Where are we?"

"I think we just got into Colorado." He put his headphones in, a clear dismissal.

She pursed her lips, returning to her seat reluctantly. They were making the trip from New York to California on vacation, and she was excruciatingly bored. "Trade?" Sloane asked, handing out her Vogue.

Diamond smiled. "You're a lifesaver." Sloane was the only friend Diamond had that she genuinely liked. She had a large clique, of course, full of celebrities, models, and other rich kids, of course. But most of them were fake bitches, and she didn't need to waste her precious time on their problems when she could be out getting a Mani Pedi.

She scrolled through the pages of Vogue, dreaming of the day when her face would be on the cover. She looked over at Sloane, who was holding hands with Dalton, sitting right in front of her. She grimaced, she couldn't help being disgusted by the best-friend-and-brother situation. Sloane and Dalton had despised each other up until a couple months ago, when something Diamond tried not to think about happened at a party. Diamond personally thought they were a horrible couple, but she tried to be supportive.

Tired of having nothing to do but watch the nasty scene beside her, she got up and headed to the front of the plane. She stepped in through the curtain, and instantly grinned. Why hadn't she come up here before? The pilot was young -- and cute. She went instantly into flirtation mode. "Hey," she said huskily. "So, how long do we have to go?" She sat down on the empty co-pilot's seat.

The captain didn't look her way. "Still aways, Miss. Maybe you should go back to your seat."

She didn't give up. "But I want to talk to you."

He glanced over, and she saw his eyes widen before he returned his gaze to the sky. "Miss Gold --"

She cut of his dismissing tone. "Oh, please, call me Diamond -- or even Di. So tell me, how does a young guy like you become such a skilled pilot?"

"Um," he looked flustered. "I mean, I just graduated from flight school..."

"You must have been really good," she insisted.

"I don't really..." He shook his head as if to clear it. "Miss, you have to return to your seat. Now."

Diamond pouted, but could see that he wasn't going to change his mind. With a sigh, she left and collapsed back into her seat. The constant vacations and flights were making them that much more tedious. She grabbed her phone, deciding to text her father. She groaned, and Sloane looked over. "What's up, Di?"