Chapter 7

Diamond got up early again the next morning, and set off for the river after checking to make sure Willie Mae was alright. She grabbed her bag and trekked into the trees, kicking off her shoes and pulling down clothes as she saw the water. With a grimace of pain, she unwrapped the bandages covering her wound, revealing the wide red half moon. She tried to ignore it as she slipped into the water. It was nice having the river to wash up in, and she dreaded the day it veered off their course.

When she was fully clean, she decided to wrap herself up on her own. She took some Neosporin and caked it on the gaping cut, hopefully blocking out infection. Then she wrapped the white bandage cloth around her torso, covering it all up. She dressed in a white layered peplum top, blue cotton embroidered shorts, and her blue "kitty" flats. The kitten faces on her feet made her smile. Finally, she gave herself a side French braid, and made her way back.

Everyone was starting to stir, and Willie Mae was blinking her sightless eyes. "Diamond?" she called. Diamond smiled brightly, and quickly made her way over.

"Right here, Mae," she said gently. "What do you need?"

"I feel gross." Her hair was greasy, her dress was splattered with mud and gunk, and dirt streaked her pretty face.

"Do you want to wash up in the river?" Mae nodded.

"Okay." She turned to Ellis, who was rubbing his eyes with a yawn. She had to snap herself out of staring at his cuteness. "Do you mind if I take Mae to clean up?"

He shook his head. "Nah, that'd actually be a great help. Thanks, Di."

"Sure," she said casually, taking Willie Mae's hand.

"I'm gonna scout out the perimeter, see if there's any way around this wall."

"Surely, not by yourself?" Diamond demanded.

Ellis shrugged. "I'll be fine, darlin'."

Diamond was trying to argue, while being dazzled by his use of "darling". Luckily, Sloane cut in. "I'll go. Henry, you can make sure nothing comes near our camp."

"What about me?" Dalton snapped. Sloane ignored him.

Diamond led Mae to the water, and helped her in. She held up her dirty dress. "Uh, do you have any other clothes?" she asked.

Mae shook her head sadly. "We didn't have time to get anything of mine."

"Oh." Diamond washed the dress in the water while Mae scrubbed her body. Then she hung it over a tree. "We can let it air dry," she explained. "In the meantime, you can borrow something of mine."

"Okay!" Diamond washed Willie Mae's hair with her own shampoo, and then handed her a worn T-shirt to dry herself.

She dug through her bag, and pulled out a floral print organza silk dress. Diamond was petite and slim, so it could fit Mae well enough. She helped her into it, and smiled at the sight. The yellow, green, and white colors were beautiful, and it fit the girl well. "Perfect," Diamond said with a nod. "Now for your hair." She brushed the dark curls gently, and then twisted them into twin braids down Mae's shoulders. "Adorable."

They returned to the clearing, where -- of course! -- Dalton was shouting. "You're the reason we broke up!"

Diamond walked out from behind the trees just in time to see Dalton push Henry back. "Whatever happened is between you and Sloane!" Henry yelled. "I'm not going to fight you!"

"Then don't fight!" Dalton rushed toward him, ready to punch.

"Stop!" Diamond cried, releasing Mae's hand and running to her brother. She pushed him aside, and then let out a yelp. She collapsed to the ground, panting and holding her side tightly.