Chapter 12

Diamond woke next to Willie Mae, and rubbed her eyes. "Mae?" The little girl's eyelids fluttered instantly -- she was a light sleeper.

She yawned adorably. "Morning," she said softly.

"I'm gonna take a shower," Diamond told her. "Can you wait here for me?"

"Sure." Mae let her eyes fall shut again.

After she showered, Diamond dressed in a silk tank tucked into a blush peplum leather skirt. She added a pearl necklace and matching earrings, which went with her white pearl trim ballerina flats. She figured being on this island and the beach, she could afford it.

She helped Mae shower, and dressed her in a Dolce and Gabbana floral dress. She French braided the girl's hair. "Want some breakfast?"

Willie Mae nodded, smiling as she reached her hand out for Di's. Diamond felt her heart ache when she noticed that this had become a habit of Mae's. They walked down the stairs, and she paused when she saw Ellis first. "Morning, Mae!"

"Ellis!" Willie Mae greeted happily, reaching out for him. Ellis hugged her and led her to a chair, putting cereal in front of her with a side of eggs and bacon.

"Hey, Di."

Diamond made eye contact with him, and instantly she could swear her heart froze over. She put that ice in her gaze as she brushed past him without a word. She ate her eggs and bacon that Ellis, Sloane, and Henry had prepared hastily. Oddly enough, she felt more relaxed when Dalton came down the stairs. He sat down next to her, but he didn't say anything.

"So I was thinking," Ellis began. "I think we should start today off by checking the island. We gotta make sure no lurkers come and scare us."

"Sure. Where do you want us to go?" Sloane asked.

Diamond interrupted before Ellis could leave her out again. "I'm gonna take Mae up the shore. There shouldn't be anything that close to the water, anyway, and I can protect her."

Ellis looked hesitant, but he saw her determined expression. "Alright," he said reluctantly.

Diamond led Willie Mae outside and they walked slowly down the edge of the water in silence for a while. "Hey, Mae," Di said after a couple minutes. "Come here." Willie Mae's eyebrows furrowed, but she didn't refuse. Diamond led the girl closer to the ocean, and let just her feet touch the water.

Mae squealed. "The water," she breathed. "I've never been to the ocean. Daddy never let me swim, either."

"You want to go farther in?" Mae nodded, and they went until the salt water lapped at their knees. Diamond smiled down at Mae, who was giggling. The girl reached down with cupped hands and lifted up some water.

"This is so cool!" she exclaimed.

It was amazing to Diamond. Something so simple as the water from the ocean made Mae so happy. It made her regret all the times she'd taken things for granted. She felt that way a lot around Mae.

Diamond allowed them to continue their 'search' of the island in the water. She saw something red on their way back, glinting in the trees. "Stay here," she told Willie Mae sternly. The sand stuck to her wet feet as she made her way to the treeline.

She pushed away shrubbery, hoping he didn't get poison ivy. She picked up the red container, recognizing it as a gas can. This might be useful with the cars, she thought. She grabbed it, calling Mae over.

They walked back to the house, where the others already stood in a mini-circle. Diamond let out an inward sigh. "What'd we miss?" she called, trying her best not to sound bitter.