Chapter 16

Diamond cried into Ellis's shoulder, her body quaking with her sobs. "Why is this happening?" she demanded. Ellis petted her hair comfortingly, but he remained silent. "She's my best friend," she whispered. "What will I do without her?"

"I'll take care of you," Ellis assured her.

Diamond looked up at him, but was interrupted by a clearing of someone's throat. Dalton had come out to the porch. "Hey, Di. Uh...its your watch."

"Okay. I'll be up in a minute." Dalton went back inside, and Di gave Ellis a quick kiss before she followed.

She felt like she was walking through quick sand as she ascended the stairs. She couldn't stand the thought of her friend dying up in that room, and having to watch it happen without being able to offer any help. She hesitated in the doorway, but mentally scolded herself and walked in. "Hey, bestie!" she greeted brightly. She plopped down next to Sloane -- her hand tied to the bed so she couldn't attack anyone when she turned.

"Maybe you shouldn't sit so close," Sloane warned, her voice devoid of any emotion.

Diamond didn't move. "Do you remember when we first met?"

Sloane's lips quirked up in the hint of a smile. "Of course. You were the strangest kid I'd ever met."

"Hey!" Di gently pushed Sloane's shoulder. "I was seven. And I had just met you, I was a little excited."

Sloane let out a light laugh. "Our dads had us meet, and you practically jumped me. Talking about dress up and dolls and being BFFs," she added a nasty voice to the last part. "But even though you were a freak, I knew you were someone I'd grow to like -- somewhat."

"Hey, you loved dress up!" Diamond protested. "Besides -- you know you love me." She grinned widely.

Suddenly, Sloane's face paled, and the shadows of laughter and smiles on it vanished. "Yeah. I do."

"Hey..." Di said sadly. "I was supposed to be cheering you up."

"Right," Sloane scoffed. "So I can at least be happy as I die and become a monster."

"Stop!" she commanded. "Don't think like that!"

Sloane rounded on her. "How am I supposed to think, Di? It's going to happen, we all know it. Might as well face the facts."

Diamond looked away, crossing her arms. "There's still hope. You could be immune!"

Sloane sighed. "Please, Diamond. Accept it."

"No." They sat in silence before there was a knock on the door. "That must be Henry for his shift." Sloane didn't respond. Di got up and left the room, facing a dead-eyed Henry.

"How is she?" he whispered worriedly.

Diamond shrugged, feeling her tears start to come back as she stopped acting strong for her friend. "To be honest, she's being a real Debby Downer."

Henry looked like he was the one turning into a zombie. "I know the feeling."

Diamond sighed as he left, wishing someone didn't seem like they had clinical depression. She walked slowly to her and Mae's bedroom, and saw Ellis sitting at the edge of the bed. "Hey," she greeted, her voice small.

"You really need some rest."

Diamond sighed. "I don't know if I could sleep."

"Don't worry," Ellis said, smiling warmly. "I'll watch over you."

--

Diamond was running, the horde of walkers at her heels. It felt like every mustle in her body was on fire, and she could barely breathe. Dimly, she was aware that she was no longer in California. It seemed to be...Washington D.C.? She didn't have time to keep pondering as she ran for her life.