Chapter 3- Nurse of the Year

"Another day Sir?" asked the guard Edward with a smile.

     "You bet Eddy!" Cesar exclaimed with a grin. Eddy laughed and waved. Cesar pulled into the same parking space he did the day before. He was glad to see Sandra's white car parked next to his. He checked his watch. It was 5:20 am. He left his coat in his car and entered the elevator. Once he landed, he stepped out into the already-busy halls of the large hospital. He walked to the main desk, and found Sandra in her scrubs, speaking to a nurse seated behind the desk. 

     "Good morning Sir! I was just explaining to our nurse-in-training where she'll be working her shift today," said the nurse seated at the front. 

     "Thank you Quinn, Sandra," he said, directing his attention to Sandra. "Quinn knows the hospital inside and out. She will show you around, and you will help her care for two different patients today. But don't worry Quinn will be beside you the entire time," he finished.

     "Thank you Sir," Sandra said.

     "I thought I told you to call me Cesar," he whispered to her.

     "At work? Absolutely not," she whispered back. "Well, we best get going, thank you again, Sir," she said loudly for Quinn to hear.

     "Yes," answered Quinn. She led Sandra down the hall. Cesar walked down the noisy hall. He made it to his office, and once inside he began his work. He opened his laptop that was left untouched for a week. He had checks to write; the end of the month was nearing. The first name on his computer screen was Quinn Andrews. Cesar thought Quinn deserved the Best Nurse of the Year Award. She was kind and respectful to all her co-workers and tolerant with the patients. She had healthy relationships with them, and they always told Cesar how good a nurse she was. She gladly stayed ten minutes or so after her shift and ten minutes before. She was a bright, middle-aged woman who worked well. Cesar respected her greatly; she was a single mother and she was raising 2 kids. A boy and a girl, both in middle school. Cesar wrote her check, and continued through the never-ending list of employees. He checked the clock that hung on his wall, and saw that it was 12:15 pm. Lunch would start in 5 minutes!

     "Shift 2, please begin your shift in 5 minutes," he heard Quinn say in the daily announcements. Cesar grabbed his laptop and walked out of the office.