Chapter 7- Frustration

Rain tapped on the apartment gently. It was four in the morning and cold. Cesar was still on the couch, fully asleep. Since he wasn't in his bedroom, he didn't have his alarm clock to wake him up. By the time it was 4:30 am, Cesar's eyes burst open. He found a blanket on him. I don't remember getting a blanket, he thought. Sandra. It wasn't the gentle taps of rain that startled him. But it was the smell of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and orange juice that did. He scrambled off the couch and found Sandra already awake and cooking in the kitchen. Her hair was tucked neatly into a bun and her fresh makeup made her look even more beautiful then she usually did. Even though she wore her Nurse Scrubs, she looked amazing. She turned to find Cesar in his clothes from the day before, barely waking up.
"I hope you don't mind me making breakfast," she said as she tossed pancakes on the stove.
"Not at all, thank you so much," Cesar mumbled half asleep. "How did you sleep?"
"Fantastic! The bed was really comfy and I slept till four. But why did you give up your bedroom for me? I didn't realize you did until I saw you curled up on your couch."
"I had too. I can't have my guest sleeping on the couch," Cesar stated. "Thanks for the blanket by the way."
"Of course," Sandra said as she walked past him to place the pancakes on the dining table. "Hurry up and eat, we have to get to work in thirty minutes!" Sandra said as she ushered him to the table. They sat and ate.
"Where did you get clean scrubs?" Cesar asked curiously.
"I have an extra set in my car. I'm surprised I actually used them," Sandra said after a gulp of orange juice. "I also washed my scrubs in your sink," she added.
"The sink in the bathroom?"
"The sink in the bathroom," she confirmed with a nod. He was impressed. Sandra might have been fresh out of college, but she knew how to handle things on her own.
"You can use the washing machine whenever you need it," Cesar said as he ate a strip of bacon.
"I first need to check if I have clothes to wash in my apartment," she said sadly. Cesar put his hand on her shoulder sympathetically.
"If you don't have any clothes, we'll go buy you more," he assured her.
"Really?"
"Of course. You need clothes right?" he joked. She smiled and that brought a rush of happiness  to Cesar. He didn't know why. They finished their meal in silence. "I need to go shower. I'll be out before you know it," Cesar said as he took his plate to the sink.
"Okay," was all Sandra said.
     After a quick shower Cesar got dressed and brushed his teeth all in the restroom. He combed his hair back with his fingers and applied a small amount of gel. Once finished, he walked out to the living room to see Sandra folding the blanket and placing it on the couch.
     "Ready?"
    "Just let me wash the dishes," Sandra said.
    "Just put them in the dishwasher," Cesar said. Once she did, they left the apartment and hopped into Cesar's car.
     "Yesterday was really something'," Sandra stated with a sigh. Cesar again felt guilty.
     "After work we'll go check your apartment."
     "Thank you," she said with a glum look. They went in silence to the hospital. They pulled up to the gate and saw Eddy smiling at them.
     "Good morning Cesar. Sandra," he nodded towards her with raised eyes brows and a smirk. Cesar rolled his eyes as usual.
     "Morning Eddy," Cesar said.
    "So you decided to take her to work now? Ooo," said Eddy seemingly intrigued.
     "Pssh, it's nothing," Cesar said clearly irritated. Eddy noticed and laid off.
     "Okay, okay. Have a good day Sir," Eddy said sadly as the fun was over. Cesar made it to his favorite parking space and went up the elevator with Sandra by his side. Once they made it up the many floors, the silver doors slid open. Cesar and Sandra walked onto the tiled floor and were greeted by unexpected chaos. Nurses and few doctors here and there walked frantically back and forth between rooms and halls. Quinn sat at the front desk clearly frustrated with her clipboard and computer. She repeatedly punched in numbers and words into the keyboard but nothing seemed to be working.
     "Mr. Martínez!" She exclaimed with relief.
     "What's all this commotion about?" Cesar asked.
     "Well the internet connection seems to be completely off. None of the computers are working! None of the phones are working and the power will go out any minute! I checked the clipboards to see the schedules and medications for each patient but they're all blank!" Quinn informed rather quickly. She paused for Cesar to give instructions.
     "Fuck. Okay, how do you know the power will go out soon?" He cursed.
     "The power has gone out in the break room and the restrooms," she said with a shaky voice. As soon as she said it, the power went out in the main hall. Everyone gasped and began running between rooms to check on the patients.

     "This is not good," a nurse whispered.

     "Thanks for stating the obvious Nancy," another voice huffed.

     "I'm sorry! All we know is that lives are in danger," she responded with a sigh. 

     Shit.The patients! Cesar thought. He rushed to his office and screamed as the lights would not flicker no matter how many times he violently switched the lights. He kicked his desk in frustration. He ignored the pain and began to rack his brain for a way to get the power working. Lives were at stake, and if he didn't do anything that very moment...