Chapter 4- Lunch

Cesar smiled when he saw Sandra at the front desk speaking with Quinn once again.

"How was your first day?" Cesar asked her once he made it to the desk.

"It was exciting. The patients are so sweet. I enjoyed caring for them," Sandra answered with a smile.

"She was amazing Sir. The patients loved her! They can't wait for her next shift tomorrow," stated Quinn. Cesar was impressed. The first day at work, and they already love her!

"Congratulations Sandra. Are you ready for lunch?" Cesar asked.

"Yes Sir," she replied.

They entered the elevator, and Sandra started with small talk.

"How was your day Sir?"

"Cesar. But it was great. I was writing checks for the employees. I was glad to write the first one for Quinn."

"Yes, she is greatly appreciated by the staff and patients," Sandra noted. They reached the parking lot and Cesar led her to his car. He opened the door for her, and she smiled. Once inside, he started the car. He pulled out of the space and he reached the entrance and saw his friend the guard, Eddy.

"Have a good day Sir!" Eddy said.

"Please Eddy, call me Cesar," he said with a smile.

"Wow, you taking the lady with you? Are you guys dating or something?" Eddy asked.

"Don't be silly Eddy, she just started working here. I'm taking her to lunch to get to know her better," Cesar explained.

"You're taking her to lunch?" Eddy smirked.

"Bye Eddy," Cesar said with an eye roll.

"He's your friend?" Sandra asked with a laugh.

"I don't know him well, but we see each other every morning."

"Yeah, I saw him yesterday and this morning. He seems like a good guy," Sandra said as he drove them to a restaurant.

"Yeah he does. Look, I was gonna take you to this amazing Indian restaurant, but I'm allergic to some ingredient they use in their chicken," Cesar admitted.

"Really? I'm allergic to an ingredient in Indian food as well," Sandra confessed.

What?! a voice in Cesar's head demanded. She's allergic to Indian food too?! She's the first. They reached an Italian restaurant called Risorante al Chiaro di Luna

"The food here is scrumptious," Cesar said.

"Risorante al Chiaro di Luna? Moonlight Restaurant?" Sandra asked.

"How did you know?"

"I studied Italian for two years in high school. I never forgot anything," Sandra answered as if it were obvious.

"I'm impressed," Cesar admitted.

They walked out of the car once he left the worker outside his car for valet parking. They entered the dim-lit restaurant, and were led by a waiter into a booth.

"My name is Christopher, I will be your waiter this afternoon. I'll give you two a few minutes to look for drinks," the waiter said and left abruptly.

This is your chance, Cesar thought.

"Sandra? Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," she said with a straight-face.

"About your parents... you were never adopted?" Cesar asked.

"No, I was in an orphanage, but I was never adopted for some reason. I have no family. But thank the Lord I was a good student. I was able to get a scholarship from Cornell University. I graduated as a Registered Nurse, and here I am," she concluded suddenly.

"You went to Cornell, but you don't live in New York. Why did you move?" Cesar asked intrigued.

"I didn't want to stay in New York City. It brought back too many memories."

"Memories of what?"

"Memories of nothing," she said with a serious face.

"I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. When I said memories of nothing, I literally meant there was nothing to remember. That's why I left New York; I want to create memories," she stated with difficulty.

The waiter, Christopher came back.

"What would you like to drink?" he asked.
     "I will have a glass of water please," offered Sandra.
     "And for you Sir?" Christopher asked Cesar.
     "A beer for now. Thanks," he said. Once Christopher left to get their drinks. Sandra continued.
     "I knew you'd be curious. We just met and you want to get to know me better."
     "You're right. And the thing is, I'm in the same situation as you are. My parents died when I was small, and I was never adopted. I went to Columbia University. I graduated there and moved here."
     "Why'd you move?"
     "Same reason as you did. I couldn't take the silence," he stated thoughtfully.
     "Silence?"
     "I always felt lonely and trapped. There was no family for me to enjoy. I can only imagine you always felt the same." He looked up and met her eyes. They were filled with tears and he sighed. She nodded as the waiter made his way back to their table.
     "Here are your drinks," he said as he placed Sandra's water and Cesar's beer on the table. "Ready to order?"
     "No, sorry. Could you give us few more minutes?" Cesar asked.
     "No worries! Of course Sir," Christopher said with a friendly smile. He left briskly and suddenly Sandra burst into tears. She startled Cesar.
     "Sandra! What's wrong?" he asked in surprise.
     "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to startle you. It's just I've never felt so... so, lost. I just met you and I feel like I've known you my whole life." She exclaimed as she dried her tears. Cesar moved to her side of the booth and put his arm around her. She leaned her head on his shoulder. He turned to look at her. He stared into her eyes. They were bright and big. Beautiful, he thought. They seemed so familiar. Where had he seen those eyes?