Chapter 20- Run

"Is there a back door to this place?" Cesar asked the waitress, panting. She stared back at him, her mouth hanging open. 

     "Follow me."

     Cesar grabbed Sandra's arm and they quickly followed the waitress past more booths. They walked into the kitchen past many chefs with flames rising over their heads. At the end of the narrow and steamy room, a large door was waiting. "Here," the waitress said as they reached the exit. 

     "Thank you. You guys deliver?" Cesar asked with a strain. 

     "Yeah. See you next time!" the waitress answered with a smile. Sandra grabbed Cesar's hand and they rushed out the door. Once inside the car, Sandra screamed at Cesar.

     "What was that! What happened to your face?"

     "I fired his sorry ass and he repays me by hitting my face repeatedly. I may have punched him too, making him even more mad. He's really strong," Cesar answered as he swerved dangerously.

     "Are you sure you can see? You have a black eye forming."

     "I'm alright."

     "Cesar, you can't just burst on Vincent just because he lied to us."

     "Why not? I almost believed his lies. I could've lost you again," he said with an effort. 

     "Whatever. Let's just get home. Then we'll figure out what to do."

     After a rather quiet ride, Sandra could see Cesar's injuries getting worse. When they got to the apartment, he gasped as Sandra fiddled with the keys. 

     "Cesar! What's wrong?" she asked frightened. 

     "My ribs," he groaned. Sandra opened the door, and helped Cesar in, half carrying-half dragging him over her shoulder. He's too heavy, she thought. They slowly made their way to the couch, where she laid him gently. She turned on the lamp and took a better look at his face. He squinted from the light. 

     "What hurts?" 

     "My face."

     "Where?"

     "My nose. Eye," he answered in a raspy voice.

     "Let me clean your face up, then we'll get some medicine." He groaned in approval. Sandra rushed to the restroom and returned with the necessary materials. She sat beside him and smiled softly. "This might hurt a bit," she warned. She turned to her materials and grabbed a small wet towel and gently dabbed at his nose; careful not to hurt him. 

     Cesar hissed. 

     "I'm so sorry! But it has to be done to see what's up with your nose." She continued to rinse his blood away and she gasped when she saw his crooked nose. 

     "Broken nose?" he asked softly. 

     "Broken nose," she agreed gravelly. Sandra then took a clean towel and gently dabbed at Cesar's eye. He moaned in pain. 

     "Sandra, you're hurting me!" he yelped. 

     "I'm sorry!" she answered, tears filling her eyes.

     "Why're ya crying? I should be crying..."

     "How could he beat you up this way? Who has it in their heart to injure someone else so badly? I can't believe someone could be so vile. It hurts me to be you in pain. How dare he hurt you. Cesar, I'm sorry for causing you pain, I just want to help," Sandra answered through sobs. 

     "Oh, Sandra. Don't feel that way. I understand you feel that way, but you don't have to cry. We are here for each other. And tonight was the sort of night that you are here for me. Thank you for helping me. It just hurts a little bit," Cesar answered, his voice raw.

     "You mean it?" 

     "I said it, didn't I?" he answered with a pained grin. Sandra continued to clean Cesar's face, this time, even more gently. Cesar feel asleep as she worked. Once she finished, she hesitantly removed Cesar's shirt. When she did, she gasped.