Dream's Awakening

Dream's Awakening

I was completely ready to just fall into my bed when I got home. The day had been a tiring one, and I didn't want to mess with anything else but sleep. Unfortunately, the outside world had other plans. I noticed the phone ringing before I had even opened the front door. Quickly and clumsily, I unlocked it and made my way down the hall to the phone that I had set up in the living room.

"Hello...?" I welcomed, more of a question than a statement.

"Hey Bells! I was starting to worry that you didn't want to talk to me." I smiled at my best friend's voice. Jacob was always a welcomed person in my house, on the phone or otherwise. He was my one constant that I could always rely on.

"Hey Jake. I just got home from school, actually. Trying to be a good kid living on her own and all that, ya know?" I was incredibly excited to hear from Jake, and I think he could tell by my tone.

"Oh, I know what you mean. I just wanted to make sure that you got moved in all right in that new place of yours. And make sure that you haven't gotten into any trouble." I sighed into the receiver. He was such a worrier when it came to me. I had no doubt in my mind that he would beat up anyone that even looked at me wrong.

"Not really trouble, no. But I'm moved in decently enough. I still have a few boxes to unpack, but other than that..." Jake was apparently caught up on my first comment, because he interrupted me then.

"What kind of 'not really trouble' are we talking about, Bella? Did someone hurt you?" I knew then that I wouldn't be able to go back now that I said that. Stupid slip up on my part. So I delved into the story of my first day at Forks High. When I mentioned Alice, Jake seemed to tense up. "Do you mean Alice Cullen?"

"Yeah, why? Is there something wrong with her?"

"Not really... just stay away from that family, Bells. They can get you into some serious trouble if you're not careful. They don't have a good reputation out here on the Res." This new information made me slightly defensive. I'm not sure why, but I felt the need to defend Alice to my best friend.

"What do you mean trouble? Alice was nothing but nice to me all day."

"I don't know, Bella. I just know what I've been told, and that's that the Cullen's are forbidden to come on our land. I don't know what they did or who they are, but I have a bad feeling about you getting to know them better." At least he wasn't being a complete jerk about it. I could tell that his voice was strained, though. He was trying not sound too frustrated.

"Alright, Jake. I'll keep that in mind," and with that we moved on to lighter topics. Apparently there's going to be a bonfire that weekend over on the reservation. Jake had invited me to it and I eagerly agreed knowing that I wouldn't have anything else to do socially. Once our conversation ended, I moved into the kitchen to start something for dinner. I decided that I'd have to go grocery shopping soon if I wanted to have any sort of decent meals. Sighing, I pulled out a box of cereal and some milk, making myself a bowl of Cheerios. I sat at the dining room table and pulled out my homework to get started on as I was eating. After I finished, I moved up to my room to get ready for bed. It was still kind of early, so I decided to read a bit. Apparently I was more tired than I thought though, because shortly after I got comfortable, I had fallen asleep.

The fire's surrounding me and it's incredibly hot. I can't breathe because of all the smoke. The door is covered in fire, and I know at any minute that I'm going to be burned alive. I can hear people screaming all around me, and it sounds like the house is about to collapse. Sirens are sounding outside, but I know they won't get to me fast enough. Only seconds left....

And then those cold arms surround me again. I'm terrified at first because I think that I must have already died. I gasp and my lungs fill up with smoke. "It's going to be alright."

I realize that we're moving before I even think possible. Everything is moving around me incredibly fast. The fire's heat doesn't even reach me anymore.

I look up into the face of the person holding me against her chest, her strong arms carrying me as if I weigh nothing. She's looking directly at me when my eyes finally reach her face. She smiles at me, and I know in that moment that everything will be all right.

I woke in a cold sweat, slowly realizing that I was okay. Dreaming of the fire wasn't something new. I would always see the buildings collapsing around me, and hear my parents screaming. But this time it was different. Normally, I would wake up right before I was rescued. I would never see the face of the person who saved me. This time, I saw her clearly. I saw her face, and recognized it instantly.

My angel was Alice Cullen.