A Time For Everything

"Hello, Bella," Alice greeted, still standing on the front porch. "I'm sorry it's so late, but I thought it would be better to talk to you sooner rather than later." I just stared at her wondering what could be of such a great importance that Alice would venture out at night to come talk to me in the pouring rain. I must have been quiet for too long because Alice started shifting from foot to foot as if she was nervous. "I can come back another time if it's too late, Bella. I just thought-"

"No, come on in. You just surprised me is all," I quickly collected myself and opened the door further so she could come in. "You're soaked. You must be freezing. Did you run here or something?" I half-joked. I really wouldn't put much past Alice at this point.

"Something like that." She answered with a quiet laugh. Realizing that we were still standing in the entranceway, I motioned for Alice to follow me upstairs.

"Why don't you change into some of my clothes? They'll probably be big on you, but they'll do for now." She nodded in agreement before following me up the stairs. Her mind seemed to be on a completely different plain, as she stared ahead of her. But, not surprisingly, Alice was as graceful as ever. "I'll be waiting downstairs in the living room," I told her after I had handed her some clothes. She muttered a quick thank you before turning so that her back was facing me and began to lift her shirt. She had gotten it about halfway up her back before she turned her head to look at me.

"Is something the matter, Bella?" she asked looking truly curious as to why I was still in the room.

I blushed, realizing that I had been staring. "No, no. Sorry. Uhm... I'll be... Yeah, I'll be downstairs," I mumbled out. Turning awkwardly and walking toward the door, I heard Alice giggle and whisper something to herself.

I didn't have to wait long once I got downstairs. Almost as soon as I had sat down on the couch, Alice was in the hallway making her way toward me. Oddly enough, this didn't surprise me in the least. Blushing, I spoke quickly. "So, I'm sorry about that upstairs... I wasn't really thinking-" She cut me off before I could continue making a fool of myself.

"Don't worry about it, Bella. It's not a big deal." She waved it off with a grin before turning suddenly serious. "You probably know why I'm here."

"I'm guessing that it has something to do with what was bothering you earlier?" I tried to act as if I was not totally and completely captivated and interested in what she was about to tell me. I don't think I pulled it off very well. Alice smirked quickly before she answered.

"Yes, that's right. And I honestly don't know where or how to start this conversation." She seemed frustrated at this and sat back with her arms crossed over her chest. She had changed into another pair of my sweat pants and one of my t-shirts. Both were too big on her, and she looked quite childish as she sat at the end of the couch as she was. I smiled at her and repeated her words from this morning back at her.

"From the beginning." She gave an appreciative smile before sitting up and leaning over, resting her forearms on her knees. She gave out a sad sigh before speaking.

"If only it were that easy, Bella. You don't seem to understand how horridly long ago that was." Not really getting what she was saying, I scooted over so that I was sitting directly beside her. Trying to lighten the mood, I answered as lightheartedly as I could.

"Oh yeah, because you're, like, what? One hundred and fifty now, right?" I laughed shortly, but she just turned and looked at me seriously. My laughter and smile faded away quickly at her look.

"Not quite," was her only response before she sat back again. I furrowed my brow in confusion as I watched her. "I just wish that I could come out and say this without you thinking that I'm utterly insane, Bella." She ran a hand through her hair, pulling on the ends slightly. It was still wet, so some water dripped onto the back of the couch. I watched this, mesmerized by her simplest of actions. Finally deciding that it was my turn to talk and be supportive, as she had been for me this morning, I reached over and grabbed her hand. Giving it a gentle squeeze, I smiled at her.