Shadows in a Fire

Shadows in a Fire

Alice stopped in front of me suddenly after a minute of walking. I looked up at her to see why she stopped when I noticed that we had actually stopped right outside of another close door. I must have been so into my own thoughts that I hadn't noticed we had arrived at our destination. Still holding my hand, Alice turned the doorknob and pushed the door open slowly, leading me in.

What I saw was beautiful. It was a very simple room; very empty compared to the others. In the center was a platform that held a grand piano. There was a bookshelf on the left wall that must have held sheet music. I wasn't certain from this distance. Along the same wall hung various stringed instruments - guitars, violins, mandolins and others. There was also a black couch on the right wall. The wall furthest from us as we stood at the door was completely glass, like many other walls in the house. Light from the sun shone through and lit the room.

I walked further into the room, not letting go of Alice's hand. She followed without complaint as I gawked at my surroundings. I wasn't a musician, but I could certainly appreciate fine instruments and music. After a while, I turned to face Alice with a questioning look, waiting for her to explain why this was her favorite room.

"I may not be the musician of the family, but this room has always calmed me. It's just relaxing to be in here," she explained quietly, almost as if too much noise would disturb the tranquility.

"Can you play?" I asked, nodding toward the piano. I realized that she said she wasn't the musician of the family, but it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if she could play. I wasn't disappointed when she nodded.

"Would you like me to play something for you?" she asked, to which I eagerly nodded, indicating that I would. She led me over to the piano and sat down on the bench. I wasn't sure what to do, so I remained standing next to her. Sensing my uncertainty, Alice spoke. "You can sit, Bella." She smiled up to me and patted the space next to her, indicating where she meant. I complied and sat down next to her.

Alice placed her hands on the keys, pausing before she began to play. I sat and listened to every note as her fingers glided effortlessly over the keys, faster and more fluently than I could ever hope to. The piece was beautiful and trying to explain it would be pointless.

Alice finished playing all too soon as she lingered on the last note before resting her hands back in her lap.

"I thought you said Edward was the musician," I stated more than asked, and Alice looked at me.

"He is - the true musician, anyway. I just play a little," she said with a shrug.

I looked at her unbelievingly before saying anything. "Alice, you have got to be kidding me. That was absolutely amazing." I wanted her to believe me. She seemed so self-conscious about herself sometimes. It was humbling. I couldn't understand how someone as beautiful and amazing as Alice could ever be as nervous about themselves as she is.

She looked back over at me with a small smile playing at her lips. "You should hear, Edward, then. He actually composes his own pieces." Again she shrugged.

"I don't think anything could compare to that, Ali. It really was beautiful." She smiled appreciatively at me before standing and offering me her hand.

"Why don't we move to the couch? I have a feeling that it would be better if you were comfortable for this." I nodded and accepted her hand, following her over to the couch.

I was nervous. Sure, Alice's playing had calmed me drastically, but I was still incredibly nervous. That just shows how nervous I was before about this conversation. I still wasn't sure if I actually wanted to hear what Alice was about to tell me. I had a feeling that it would change things, and I wasn't sure if it would be for the better.