A Quick Escape

A Quick Escape

Unfortunately for us, the rest of the day went much the same. Alice and I were able to spend some time alone together during our free period, but Daniel just happened to be in Gym with me. When Alice found out, she wasn't very pleased.

"Seriously? He's in there, too?" Alice fumed, watching as Daniel walked into the boys' locker room. She had pulled me to a stop halfway down the hallway.

Alice glared in the direction of the locker room, almost as if by doing so, the whole thing would burst into flames. I sighed and ran my free hand over my face.

"Alice, honey, you have got to stop worrying about him. Nothing's going to happen. You of all people should know that." I squeezed her hand softly. Alice wouldn't meet my gaze, instead deciding to glare at the floor. "Ali?" I questioned, lifting her chin so that she'd look at me.

Alice hummed in acknowledgement, but said nothing else. She still refused to meet my gaze, looking over my shoulder instead.

A sudden thought made me smile brightly.

"What?" Alice asked me, not able to keep her curiosity at bay.

"I just thought of something that will make you feel better," I answered, turning back the way we came and pulling Alice along with me. "Come on."

I dragged Alice out into the parking lot, and led her to my truck. Luckily, Alice had agreed to let me drive today. She had been driving us to school and pretty much everywhere else, and I had missed driving, so I finally convinced her to let me drive my beast of a truck to school. Good thing too, or this plan wouldn't have really worked out as well.

I knew Alice loved surprises, and our destination being a surprise would make it even better. So I guess it was lucky that her visions weren't coming as often now, too.

Alice looked at me searchingly before shrugging and hopping in the passengers' side as I held the door open for her. I hurried over to the drivers' side as fast as I could, excited that I may actually be able to cheer Alice up after this horrid day.

Where we were headed always seemed to calm Alice, and she would always leave happier than when she had first arrived. It was almost inevitable for her to be in a better mood once we got there.

I smiled over at Alice as I pulled out of the parking spot before throwing my truck into drive and chugging forward. The drive would take longer in my ancient beast, but I doubted Alice would mind much. She seemed somewhat more content already, just sitting next to me and holding my hand. I knew she would rather be moving faster, but she was containing her impatience rather well - only her leg bouncing lightly showed that she getting twitchy at the slow pace.

The drive held barely any conversation. I had turned the radio on low so that the soft rhythm of the indie music would play in the background. Alice stared out the window the entire time, seemingly lost in her thoughts. I didn't want to interrupt, so I stayed quiet as well.

After a few moments, Alice looked over at me with a soft smile.

'This is really sweet of you, Bella. You didn't have to skip school, though. I could have made it through the rest of the day. It was just one more class."

I shrugged off her comment. "I'd rather be out here with you, anyway. You're more important than gym class." Alice smiled again at me before turning back to look out the window.

The drive did take longer than it would have if Alice were driving her Porsche. My truck could maybe hit 50 without beginning to shake, and I didn't want to push it too much. The possibility of it breaking down seemed too eminent to push my luck. But, we did eventually make it to our destination, and Alice's reaction made it completely worth the longer drive.