A Welcomed Friend

A Welcomed Friend

I woke the next morning after a fitful sleep. Alice didn't stay with me, meaning that I slept as horribly as I had before I met her, nightmares included.

I had dreamt about Ryan dying. I watched him burn in front of me, not able to do anything but stare. I tried to get to him, running as fast as I could, but didn't get any closer than where I began.

That was the first time I had dreamt about Ryan dying in a while. My dreams always seemed to be the fire I was in. They were always of me almost dying or hearing my parents screaming downstairs. Watching Ryan die this time was horrible. After I woke up in the middle of the night sweating, I had trouble falling back asleep. The image of him crying out in pain seemed burned into my eyelids and I saw it every time I closed my eyes.

I shook my head, trying to forget about that dream and focused on before I had fallen asleep.

Alice had said that she had to hunt because she hadn't the day before like she had planned to. So I, reluctantly, let her go. I tried calling Jake multiple times. Billy, his dad, told me that he couldn't come to the phone because he was asleep. Every. Single. Time. I had to have called at least ten times, just trying to get through. Billy just seemed to get more and more frustrated with me, but I wanted to know what was happening with my best friend. Mono, apparently.

"Bella, stop calling. Jacob won't be out and about for days - weeks, maybe. He has a bad case of mono and has been put on bed rest," he had told me the final time I called. I rolled my eyes at the memory of how annoyed he sounded.

I pulled myself out of bed, the only thing encouraging me to get ready for school being the promise of seeing Alice again. Just the thought of that put a smile on my face and a skip in my step.

As I walked into my bathroom to get ready, the phone began to ring. Not having any idea who would be calling me this early, but hoping that it was one of two people, I raced down the stairs to get the phone before the final ring.

"Hello?" I asked, trying to catch my breath and act calm.

"Hello, Bella. I was wondering if you'd like a ride this morning to school." I smiled to myself as Alice's voice came through the receiver, just as happy as ever.

"Yeah, most definitely. I'd love that, Alice."

"Great. I'll be there in fifteen, if that's okay?" I agreed quickly, not able to hide my excitement about seeing her so soon. Alice giggled into the phone before speaking again. "Okay, Bella. I'll see you then." I could hear the smile in her voice and couldn't help mine growing as well.

"Alright. See you then." I hung up the phone and quickly made my way back upstairs to finish getting ready. I knew that I couldn't compare to Alice or her family in any way, but I couldn't help wanting to look nice for Alice. Who can blame a girl?

After ten minutes of trying and failing to make myself up, I decided on just wearing a pair of jeans and a band t-shirt, my usual attire. Nodding to my reflection in the mirror, I turned to put my black Chuck All-Stars on and quickly made my way downstairs to grab myself something to eat.

Truthful to her word, Alice showed up exactly fifteen minutes after she had called, ringing my doorbell and then knocking softly on my door. I quickly gathered my books into my bag and grabbed my half finished Pop-Tart off the counter before making my way to the door and to my stunning girlfriend on the other side.

And she most definitely did not disappoint. Standing before me when I opened the door was the ever-stylish Alice Cullen, forever dressed as if she were about to walk in a fashion show.