Ch. 1

I lived in this town my whole life, and most of the time that's fine by me. But in late fall the sky fills with birds migrating south for winter, traveling thousands of miles, I get homesick for places I've never been before. Places like Greece, Rio, or even New York anything far from Beacon Hills. These are the things I sit and ponder as I wait patiently for the school day to pass. I am quickly pulled from my own thoughts when I feel something soft crudely hit the back of my head. I look down to seen a crumpled paper fall onto my desk and dread opening it, but I do it anyways. I smooth the paper out and the word 'fag' is violently drawn across the paper in big black letters. I let it tumble to the ground this was not new to me, but it still hurts... every time. I let out an exasperated sigh as the bell finally rung signalling the end of class, and the end of the school day. I was the first out of class as usual, and hurrying down the hall.

"Hey! Stiles wait up" Scott called from behind me. I slowed, but never fully stopped trying to get out and to my jeep "Jeez you walk fast" he said once he finally caught up.

"Sorry just tryna hurry out" I tried explaining just as there was a force on my shoulder sending me tumbling to the ground. I fell right on my butt, and when I looked up Jackson was towering over me and laughing a menacing laugh. See, I had come out as gay at the end of our junior year and since then it's been nothing but endless torture.

"What the hell Jackson?" Scott shouted running to my side.

"Calm down McCall" he said as he passed the two of them "The faggot will heal"

I kept a firm hand on Scott's wrist trying to keep him from doing anything stupid "We should tell your dad"

I stood up from the ground brushing myself off "No we shouldn't. I just have to get through this year then I can stay way from Jackson and his goons" Scott nodded walking me out to my car then hopping on his bike.

When I got home my dad's cruiser was gone, and there was a note on the fridge saying he was taking the late shift in his chicken scratch. I huffed out and pulled myself upstairs to bedroom, and flopped on the bed. My head hit the pillow and tears fell from my eyes along with silent sobbs. I made it a point to never show bullies that they got to me, but it took so much energy out of me that when I was finally alone it felt so good to just let go. Nights like this I often end up crying myself to sleep.

I was at my locker the next day trying to just make myself small and invisible. It seemed to be working; I was at school an entire ten minutes and no one had bugged me. I was waiting at my locker when Scott came rushing up to me.

"Hey dude! Did you hear we're getting some new students today?"

"No. Who would want to move here?"

"I'm not sure but it's a set of twins. Boy and girl"

"Let's hope they're nicer than tweedledee and tweedledum" I gestured to Ethan and Aiden in the corner once we entered the classroom. Scott put a hand over his mouth stifling a laugh as we took our seats. Luckily I didn't have too many tormentors in this class, just the twins, and they didn't really bother me unless Jackson was around instructing them to do so. It was nearing towards the end of class when the principal came into our class followed by two students. He leaned over and whispered to Ms. Blake before he left. She quickly stood up plastering a smile on her face.

"Okay class! We have some new students with us today" we all turned our attention to the boy and girl at the front of the class. The girl was short with dark hair and pink bow lips, that were currently turned up into a smile. The boy was tall with dangerous looking eyebrows, dark hair, and piercing hazel eyes.

"Hi I'm Cora, and this is my brother Derek. We just moved here from New York" her brother stood there looking down at his feet not speaking.

"Well okay" Ms.Blake said clapping her hands together "Well take a seat wherever" Cora lead the charge to the back of the classroom with her brother right on her trail. They took the seats beside Scott and I.

"Okay class your group projects are starting today. Please no more than four to a group, when you're ready send up one to get your assignments"

"Hey" Scott called out and turned to the twins "I'm Scott, and this is Stiles"

"Cora and Derek"

Scott asked "You guys wouldn't want to group with us would you?"

Cora looked at her brother who was staring aimlessly out the window then back at Scott "That sounds great" I nodded in agreeance then jumped to the front of the class to get our assignment. When I got back our desked had all been scooted closer together. Mine was practically right up against Derek's. I had in fact taken time to note how attractive he was. I had come out but had only ever been with one boy. Since coming out left almost everyone coming after me I hadn't time to every date anyone.

"What did we get?" Scott asked dragging me from my thoughts.

"Uh Jane Austin. Pride and Prejudice" I glanced down quickly at my watch. The bell was going to ring soon "So, I guess we can get started after school" I posed more as a statement than a question. The faster we got through this the better.

"Uh yeah" Cora answered "How about our house?" Scott nodded as Cora gave instructions for us to follow them home after school, Scott on his motorcycle and me in my jeep.