Ch. 6

The game was coming to a close with only seconds left to play. Isaac retrieved the ball from the other team and ran down the field. He tossed it to Derek who was closer to the end zone. The quarterback caught the throw making the game winning touchdown as the final buzzer sounded. Cheers poured from the bleachers and we watched our winning team jog from the field.

After the game Scott, the Hales, and I stood around waiting for Derek. He came running towards us a great, big smile plastered on his face. He was met with 'congratulations' and soft claps on the back. When all their praises had ended Derek looked over at me and and sauntered over to my side of the circle. Just as he was in my reach David clapped his hands together getting everyone's attention.

"So, dinner with the Hales tonight. How does that sound?" the crowd erupted in a 'yes'. Talia was moving behind her husband walking to their car when I watched Derek reached over getting her attention.

"Mom" he spoke in a whisper "I'm gonna hang back Stiles and I have to talk" she nodded with a grin, and winked my way.

He took ahold of my hand interlacing our fingers. I followed willingly, at first, but then I realized he was leading me deeper and deeper into the forest. I was still pretty nervous around him, and we hadn't really spoke since the events in his room that afternoon. My heart was beating out of my chest by the time he finally came to a stop. Question after question flooded my head why are we here? Did he change his mind about liking me? Maybe this was all a rouse to get me to lower my guard. This was all clouding my mind when Derek called out my name, seemingly for about the tenth time.

"Stiles! Are you okay? Your heart is beating really fast"

"Why are we here?"

"Privacy"

"For what?"

"For talking" He gestured at me as he moved to st on a nearby rock "Come on, I don't bite" I found the spot beside him hesitantly. Derek curled his mouth into a soft smile, and closed the gap I had put between us. I had to admit this calmed me down, and the muscles in my chest returned to a acceptable calming rhythm. I returned the smile as I overlooked the view Derek had sat before me. There was a lake and it was as shiny as glass, as if I could step out on it and walk all the way across. I could feel Derek's eyes on me and that moment it all seemed a little surreal. I woke up this morning and expected to go to school, get my ass kicked, pine over Derek and go home. But it turned out to be one of those days where anything seemed possible.

"Beautiful" was what I managed to sputter out after minutes of silence.

"Yeah you are" Derek breathed out still staring at me. I froze, and glanced from out the side of my eye.

"I was talking about the lake"

"Well I was talking about you" he smiled.

I brought up the courage to look hm in the eyes "Thank you"

"I guess we should talk about earlier" I nodded, and gestured for him to go on "I meant it Stiles. I want you to be my boyfriend"

"And told you I wanted to be your boy-"

He placed a hand gently on my thigh cutting me off "I know. I'm just.. I'm not so sure I'm ready to come out yet. And I know asking you to hide is wrong but-"

"I get it. Really I do, and I don't mind"

"Y-you still want to be with me?"

I hesitated at first. Which I came to find was a bad idea because he stopped in his tracks and looked at me as though the air was temporarily caught in his throat. I tried answering as fast as I could "Yeah. I mean I don't mind it, I understand"

"Really?"

"Really"

"Can I kiss you again?"

"I think we're at the point where you don't have to ask" and he laughed innocently. In a more serious mood his head snapped from side to side scoping out the area as to ensure we were actually completely alone. When he was sure it was in one quick movement that he was in my personal space running his hands down the sides of my face and swiping a thumb over my bottom lip before kissing me.

The next day I hoped in my jeep and hurried to school. It was normal for me to get to school at a surprisingly alarming hour, it was the only way for to escape premature beatings. I didn't mind it though, I was already up that early, and figured I might as well put that time to good use.

I was walking down the hall with a bit of pep in my step. One part because of Derek, and another because when I walked through the double doors of the school it was practically vacant, it looked almost abandoned.

Then I thought the world had come crashing down as my heart dropped and everything seemed to temporarily end when I felt a muscular set of arms latch on to my rather thin frame and harshly pull me into a nearby closet. My fear quickly subsided in the moment I realize it was only Derek.

"What are you doing here so early?" I asked in a a semi-angry whispered tone once I regained my balance..

"I've got morning practice. What's your excuse?" I didn't have an answer that wouldn't snitch on my bullies.

"Well Uh... ya know... I Uh gotta make sure no one takes my parking spot"

"You're lying" I curse under my breath while Derek laughed quietly to himself "You seem to forget that I'm a supernatural creature" the closet we were in was already quite small and we were practically pressed against each other. But Derek snaked his arms around me managing to kill the centimeters of distance between "Is this about what you promised to talk to me about and never did?"

"Not gonna happen" he opened his mouth to protest, but I never let the words leave his lips "Derek" I warned.

"Fine" he said throwing his hands up in defense. He smiled relaxing his arms that were now squeezing trying to pull me a little closer "So, are you coming over after school today?"

"I'm not sure" I said playing dumb "I've got chores and homework that need my attention"

"So you're telling me homework is better than this?" It was then he leaned in locking our lips together, sucking gently on my bottom lip.

"I think you need to be a bit more convincing" I nodded, mumbled into the kiss. And spoke it only as a joke, but Derek took it literal and moved his lips from mine, to my jaw, to my ear lobe, and landed on my neck. I don't have to see myself to know that my face is flushed a cherry red.

"Okay" I breathed out disconnecting him with a light push "I could spare a few hours" I smiled sheepishly and playfully pushed him away. He pulled me right back in and nuzzled his head into my neck, I did not mind at all. That was until I smelled something foul, and realized we were still in a janitors closet. And I remembered this would probably be the only time we could talk like this today. I didn't blame him, I couldn't let him get treated the way I did, but it still hurt a bit.

"Okay babe. I should probably go out first, class will be starting soon" he groaned moving his head from where It lay sandwiched between my neck and my shoulder.

"I can't wait to see you later" he smiled down at me "Miss. You. Already" he admitted punctuating each word with a kiss. With a grin, and one last quick peck I slipped from the closet and back into the hallway counting the seconds until the end of the day.