Ch. 9

STILES POV

A week later I found myself back in front of my locker with Cora and Scott. It was the last friday of the quarter, and the last football game, the championship game.

"So..." Cora began "Tonight's the big game. Derek seems to be more excited about what's going to happen after thought" They both seemed to be smiling, but I left the uneasy look on my face as I closed the locker door.

"What's wrong buddy?" Scott asked. I proceed with what I was doing with no intentions of telling them what was going through my mind, but I broke.

"I don't want him to do it"

"What?" they both asked simultaneously.

"Why not?" Cora practically screamed.

" You see how people treat me. I don't want him to do this because of me. It feels like I'm the reason behind all of this"

"You are, but it's only because he loves you"

"What does that say about me when he ends up getting his ass kicked "

"No one's going to touch Derek, he's a brick wall"

"You can't be sure of that. And it's going to be me that ends hating myself if something bad happens." I looked down at my feet leaning up against the wall of lockers "I can't let Derek go through with this, not if I love him like I say I do"

"Stiles" Cora said sympathetically, as she reached for my arm.

"I gotta go"  and with that I left on my way to class. There was no way I was letting Derek come out and there was a possibility he'd be met with the same treatment as me.

DEREK POV

We were ten minutes into the game when I finally let my mind drift back to Stiles. I hadn't seen him since lunch, and he usually always has dinner with my family before a game. Tonight, however, he just shot me a text saying he'd meet me at the game. Like I do everytime I play I found him in the crowd and sent a wink his way, and he just offered me a soft smile, different from the times before.  He'd been acting different since that night in my room, and I hated to think he still didn't agree with me coming out, but it had to be done. And yeah it was for Stiles,  but he failed to see how it was for me too. I was ready to stop pretending. We both deserved the imperfect high school relationship, and god damn it we deserved a fucking epic love story, and it wasn't going to happen if we kept hiding. It was happening tonight.

I was so wrapped up in Stiles the rest of the game, it wasn't until people were storming the field I even had realized I scored the winning touchdown, and we had won the game. I tore my helmet from my head pushing through the crowd, and claps of celebration to find Stiles. I needed to kiss him, I needed to hold him, and tell him I loved him. Nothing mattered more in that moment. At the end of cheering fans I was only met with Scott, and Cora's grinning faces.

"Where's Stiles?" I asked. They looked around skimming the field.

Scott shrugged "He was here a minute ago, maybe he's at his car?" I didn't give it another second before I was running towards the parking lot, not bothering to stop at the locker room. I had ditched my helmet long ago, leaving it on the grass as I caught his scent and raced to him.

It was quiet, and cold when I found him. I heard his breathing as I watched him leaning up against the door of his jeep, while his palms were splayed out over his face covering his eyes. It wasn't until I cleared my throat that he actually looked up, finally realizing I was there.

"Derek-" he stared ina whisperer, shocked and taken back.

"Don't" I stopped him "Why did you leave? You knew I was gonna- but you left - why did you" I finding it hard to phrase full sentences and contain my anger at the same time.