Ch. 10

Stiles was awake. He was finally up. It was all I could think about on my way to the hospital. The morphine really did keep him asleep and sedated. Unfortunately all that meant for my family was that they'd have to help me clean up the mess I made once I got home a destroyed half the house from wolfing out.

When I got to the room the curtains in the window were pushed back letting the light beam through the window. Stiles was still in that same hospital bed I left him in. The only difference now was that he was awake, sitting up right sipping apple juice and cautiously eating a jello cup. Scott was sitting in the chair beside his bed laughing hysterically at something Stiles had said, and Cora was plopped at the end of the bed drawing doodles all over his casts. They all looked up when I entered and Stiles offered me a small smile.

"Hey guys. Is it alright if Stiles and I talk for a bit?" They nodded and said they had a movie to get to anyways. "Was it Jackson?" I asked as soon as we were alone. He sat there still quiet, just staring out the window.

"I don't want to talk about it"

"Too bad"

"Derek I've felt powerless my whole life, I don't need you guys coming in and making that worse"

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean I've been getting bullied a long time, and the one time I'm able to do something is when my boyfriend tries to step in and defend my honor, like I'm some helpless whimp. I don't need a bodyguard or anyone fighting my battles for me"

"Well right now you're not fighting at all so someone has to. And I'm not trying to do this for you, I'm trying to do it with you, together" I rubbed the bridge of my nose knowing this was going to be hard "Just tell me who it was" and there his eyes went drifting back out the window. He stared down intensely towards the payvment of the parking lot, and the green grass of the park behind it. It was almost as if he thought staring long enough and hard enough he'd find the answer to it all. The answer to how things got so bad, to how he could carry on after all of this. He wasn't budging.

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid. Promise me and maybe I'll tell you"

"You know I can't do that"

"Then I can't tell you" I had been with Stiles long enough to learn he could be a very stubborn person at times. So I decided I would wait him out. I slid effortlessly into the chair beside his bed and took his hand. There was no way I was letting up, not as long as he stayed silent. The sheriff came by not long after and brought us lunch. I could tell he felt the tension in the air but asked nothing of it. Eventually he left with a kiss to Stiles' temple and the shake of my hand, and we were all alone again. It was pushing ten and things had yet to improve so I kicked off my shoes sitting them neatly by my jacket and moved to lay on the couch in his room.

"What are you doing?" he asked muting the tv.

"Going to sleep"

"No you're not you're going home"

"Are you gonna tell me?" He stoped talking "That's what I thought"

"Derek violence, revenge it isn't gonna fix what happened to me"

"It's not about violence it's about them facing the consequences weather it's by my hands or the law. Stiles they assaulted you for fucks sake. And think about the countless other people they'll hurt once they get away with this" and for the first time that day he looked like he was honestly considering what I was saying.

"If I tell you" he began "You have to take the names straight to my dad. Don't take anything into your own hands just let him do his job"

"Stil-"