Ch. 4

I wasn't surprised by how good Derek was, I had a feeling he would be. I was surprised by how hard he was trying seeing as though he was a little reluctant at first. I encouraged him nonetheless. We were sitting in the bleachers about an hour into tryouts when Mr. and Mrs. Hale sat down in either side of me.

Mr.Hale, or David was what he told me to call him clapped a hand against my back and smiled "Stiles my boy, you are a really great friend"

"Well thanks"

"We mean it" Talia chimes in "We we're worried Derek wouldn't be able to transition to the new town like his sister, but you made it easier for him"

"It's the least I could do. I would hate to move to a new town, be in the closet all over again and have no one to talk to"

"Has Derek come out to the school?"

"Not yet" I admitted reverting my gaze back to the field "I honestly don't expect him to. They treat me like a virus at school and I would hate for that to happen to your son"

"Stiles, are you gay too?"

"Uh Yes ma'am"

They exchanged looks and short glances as if they were having a conversation with their eyes no one else could hear. David, smiling like he knew something I did not, clapping once more in my shoulder before moving back to his wife.

Nearing the end in tryouts the potential players stood huddled around coach while he read the names of those lucky enough to had made the team. Derek had finally taken his helmet off and his raven black hair stood up every which way while beads of sweat fell down his temples like a cascading waterfall. For a long while I watched him search the stands for who I presumed to be his parents but I noticed him physically relax once he found my gaze. His shoulders fell from where they previously stood at attention. A soft smile spread from ear to ear as he winked at me. This of course sent the blood rushing to my cheeks. I turned a bright red as I brought up my cold hands to my face. This did not help seeing as though the redness quickly found its way to the back of my neck and the tips of my ears.

"Okay. Our receiver will be Jackson Whittemore"

"Wait what!" Jackson exclaimed "Coach I've always been the quarterback"

"And this year you'll be the receiver. Interrupt again and I'll question giving you a spot at all"

Isaac Lahey spoke up next "Then who's the quarterback?"

"Our new student, Derek Hale"

The looking on his face was complete and utter shock, I guess Derek had not expected to get the position. However, his family, Scott, and I all knew because when this was announced we erupted in cheers and shouts of joy. This all quickly prompted a dirty look from Jackson that in turn really just made us cheer more.

Derek met us in the parking lot smiling more than I had seen during the few months of him being here. We congratulated him with hugs and claps prompting him to smile more. Before I knew it he was standing so close to me he was able to whisper in my ear.

"Thank you so much Stiles. I don't think I would have done it if you hadn't convinced me"

"Oh no problem" I whispered back "Just know pretty soon you'll have to start paying for all this moral support" at this we both chuckled until Talia cleared her throat to speak.

"Stiles are you coming over for a celebratory dinner?"

"It's getting late, and I'd hate to overstay"

"Nonsense" Talia smiled.

I guess you could tell I was readying myself to protest once more because Derek pleaded "Please. I'm sure your dad wouldn't mind you staying. You can sleep over if you want " The sudden lump in my throat kept me from answering but my reluctance to move from the spot my feet had grown roots in was seen as my choice to stay.

Dinner was a few burgers and hot dogs David grilled. It was pushing midnight when it all settled down so eventually I did decide to stay.

We had been sitting on the floor of Derek's bedroom just hanging out. I had on his smallest pair of pajama bottoms he owned that seemed to still be big in me. I had finished babbling on about something when Derek said "You're different from the rest"

Unsure whether or not that was a compliment I asked "The rest being who?"

"Everyone in this town. There's just something about you"

"Maybe it's my killer charm" I joked as we both laughed. Then Derek spoke again, still chuckling lightly.

" I'm serious, I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the way you understand, or the light in your eye, or your inability to say the wrong thing" I had never been told anything like that. I had seen myself as plain 'ol Stiles but it was as though he was seeing a layer of myself I had yet to find. My thinking face and sudden quietness must had scared him because he started again "Or maybe I'm just crazy and I'm completely freaking you out"

I joked "No, not completely freaked out. I've just never been told anything like that, it's just nice to hear I guess"

"Anytime" and just like that my quest to not develop feelings for Derek quickly diminished.

I was surprised to find that given the right circumstances, Derek could talk almost as much as me because we stayed up half the night doing just that, never running out of things to say. When I woke the next morning I could feel a large amount of warmth covering my body. It was a feeling I had never felt it made me feel safe and warm and okay. I didn't really want to ever get up but when I opened my eyes I seen that heat was coming from Derek's shirtless body which I happened to be draped over. I was all set to freak out and run as far away as I could until I felt his arms were around me too, holding on pretty tightly. I relaxed, more or less, into the touch and decided I'd wait for Derek to wake up and see what he did. For the time being I just layed there enjoying the closeness. When Derek did wake up he wasn't angry he wasn't shocked or even confused. He simply let out a small sigh and pulled me closer to him, like this was the most normal, and natural thing in the world. Honestly it felt like it was.

I was the first to roll away claiming I had to go to the bathroom when in reality I really just ran water across my face in attempts to calm myself down. When I finally did come back he was sitting up in the bed. Derek's bed head made him much more sexy which was something I didn't even think was possible.

"Morning" he greeted in a seductive sounding morning voice.

"Uh morning" Standing there I ran my still wet hands down the sides of my pajama bottoms "Sorry I fell asleep in your bed"

"Well where else would you have slept?"

"The floor?" I posed more as a question than a statement. This made Derek scoff as he moved to the dresser. His back was facing me and I could see his tattoo.

"It's fine Stiles really. You fell asleep mid sentence so it's not like you could help it" I laughed because it was most likely true. I didn't stay too long after that morning. One part because I probably needed to see my dad and other part because it was becoming harder and harder to stay around Derek without accidentally saying something I shouldn't.