Ch. 3

It was the weekend before tryouts and Cora had invited me over to hang out. We quickly fell into a nice routine. Meet up at school, have lunch, go back to the Hale mansion and hang out until it was time to do it all over again. Derek and I surprisingly fell into a routine of our own too. We hadn't really been alone together anywhere but he took my offer to heart and would slowly open up to me about things. Like how scared he was to come out to his family or how he wasn't as sad as he thought he would be when Michael, his ex-boyfriend, broke up with him.

Since today was Saturday there was no meeting up at school but Cora still made sure to call and wake me at the crack of dawn to ask me to come over. Which is how I ended up in Derek's room at eight in the morning. It was decorated only with pictures of his friends and family from back in New York. He had two brown dressers, a laptop and computer desk. Then there was a big bed in the center of the room.

"So, what am I doing here on this fine Saturday morning?" I asked with only a drip of sarcasm as I took a seat in the computer chair.

Cora shrugged from where she sat on the floor "We just wanted to hang out today"

"And do what?" I questioned spinning in the chair.

"Anything" after that Derek came from the bathroom connected to his bedroom. He was toweling his hair dry presumable wet from a shower.

"Hey Sti" he smiled tossing the towel into the hamper. Cora mumbled something about getting her phone before she jumped from the floor and left. I felt my heart pick up and started to look at anything but Derek. I didn't trust myself when I was some with him, I was always afraid I'd say something stupid.

"What's wrong?"

"Me? Oh nothing"

"I heard your heart pick up"

I didn't take time to note that Derek had been listening to the sound of my heartbeat "Just thinking about something. Nothing important, so what are we doing today?" I asked changing the subject all in one breath.

"I don't know. But we should probably figure it out before Cora gets back or she'll have us doing something that will put us in jail"

"Don't worry my dad's the sheriff" I joked and he smiled sitting down on the bed. When I finally decided to take the risk and look him in the eye he was already staring back at me. Derek offered a soft smile before he patted the spot beside him on the bed. Before I had a chance to tell myself it probably wasn't the best idea my body made three quick steps and sat down beside him. Derek pulled out his phone as he he was about to search up ideas when his screen saver came into view and his whole demeanor changed. I soon came to figure that the picture was of him and Michael.

He whispered "Still hurts"

"It won't always" I had never been in a relationships but I said it like it was a promise.

"I've got the perfect idea!" Cora shouted as she stormed back into the room. Derek broke from our gaze and looked at the excited girl. We had looks on our faces as if to say really? "It's a good one I promise"

I stopped for a breath excusing the act to myself by looking down at my watch. I tried breathlessly "This isn't what came to mind when I said 'let's hang out" we were hiking a trail and were ten minutes in before I completely lost my breath. Lacrosse had taken three years of my life and I still wasn't in shape.

"Well what do you and Scott do?"

"Video games mostly" I admitted still winded. I continued to walk once more and seen we had finally reached the top. Cora was frantically handing her phone to some nearby hikers when I stopped behind Derek.

"Okay everyone, group picture, get in close" we did as we were told smiling brightly as the flash went off. I took Derek's phone setting the picture as his wallpaper.

"Now that's screensaver material" I smiled handing him the phone back. His hazel eyes bored into my brown ones smiling at me with a look on his face I had never seen before.

"So are you gonna try out for the team?" I asked as we made our way down the trail.

"I was thinking about it. Maybe I'll make the team and it'll help me adjust"

"Of course you'll make it"

He laughed "You've never seen me play"

"I know but I've got a lot of faith in you" Derek grinned throwing an arm around my shoulders making me stiffen a little. We were so close his deodorant was beginning to fill my nose and I could feel just how sweaty he was from the hike.

"Okay I'll try out. Under one condition" I held my breath anxiously waiting "You have to come cheer me on at tryouts"

"That can be arranged"

Monday seemed to come at lighting speed. And before I knew it I was walking towards the bleachers to watch Derek tryout.  I admit this wasn't helping my 'don't get a crush on him' plan but I couldn't help it.

"Hey don't be so nervous" I told him as we walked from the locker room.

"I'm supposed to be the one with the super senses"

"Well the way you keep playing with your sweaty palms just so happens to be a dead give away" he chuckled nervously as he continued to play with his hands " You'll be great sourwolf I promise" god what am I saying I screamed to myself as I mentally face palmed.

"Sourwolf?"

I stammered trying to figure out what to say "Yeah. Uh it's a nickname I'm trying out cause you're a wolf and sometimes a little grumpy" I was praying someone would hear this and just staple my mouth shut.

Then Derek spoke "I like it"

We were nearing the path where we would split up him to the field and me to the bleachers "You'll be here when I'm done right?" He asked like it was more important than the tryout. I tried not to let that go to my head.

"Yeah of course. Go kick some ass" Then Derek did something he had never done before. He pulled me into a tight hug wrapping his arms around me like that was where they belonged. I was afraid my knees would buckle once he whispered a wiry 'thank you' and I felt his hot breath on my ear. He pulled back still smiling and with that I made my way to the stands where I found Cora, Scott, along with Mr. and Mrs. Hale.

"Hey guys"

"How's my boy?" Mr. Hale asked me.

"Nervous. But I think he's gonna be okay"