Ch. 14

STILES POV

I finally understood why some girls took so long to get dressed. When it was the right guy and you needed to look perfect, every extra minute is used. And Derek deserved every bit of the four hours it took me. Even now I felt as though I didn't look good enough. I stood in the bathroom mirror tugging on my hair, it was prom and of course I had barley found my suit the morning of and of course I was doubting it. I was debating on running out to the closest store with the last few minutes I had left until Scott was jumping in the mirror behind me.

"Dude Derek is crazy about you, I promise you look fine" Scott tried to assure me as he eyed himself in the mirror, of course he looked better than me and he hadn't even tried.

"I know I just, I want to look good for him you know. It's not just any night it's prom night" I admitted aloud. And I guess that's what it all came down too, it wasn't the tux or the amount of hairspray I used. It was what might be happening after the prom, I had been ready but the nagging question was was I worth it?

"Oh, you mean it's the night?"

"I mean I want it to be, I can't really get a read from Derek though. You know I can't tell if he wants it too"

"He's a teenage boy of course he does"

"That's not always the case"

"If you're really questioning whether or not Derek wants to bone you let me stop you right there, the guy literally drools over you okay. I'm pretty sure he has a picture of you up in his football locker that he gets off on " I sighed shaking my head, he wasn't taking it seriously. I was set to drop the whole thing when he turned me around by the shoulders and for the first time since he joined me in that bathroom he actually looked like he was being sincere "Look, I know Derek loves you I mean the guy completely lost it when you were hurt. I know he wants a life with you and the chance to experience everything with you, even sex"

I nodded understandingly with a few quick breaths, I just needed to calm down "Is it weird how comfortable we are talking about this?" I asked.

"Not at all buddy" we were laughing at our weirdness before dad had called from down stairs for us. Scott sent me off with a push to the back.

We emerged from the steps to find Cora in a flowing pale pink dress with no straps and her long locks all swept to one side of her head, Scott was bounding over to her with his ridiculous hair flopping and a grin so big. Derek was standing off to the side looking less confident and more nervous. But as our eyes met it all seemed to subside and was replaced with a smile, blinding and pearl white.

It was the first time I've seen him in a suit. I decided I liked it very much.

"You uh. You look beautiful" Derek whispered once I was close enough. Then he was shaking his head and cursing to himself "I-I'm sorry I mean handsome. Not that you're not beau-"

"Hey, beautiful is okay. I don't mind being beautiful"

He chuckled at my nonsense as he remembered something "I got you this uh flower f-for your suit. It matched my tie" he pulled it from it's sanctuary and pinned it to my lappel with shaky hands.

"Hey I thought I was usually the nervous one"

"I'm always nervous around you. I'm usually better at hiding it though" he finished the pin when dad was hustling us towards the fire place for a picture.

The school gym was set up pretty nicely. For a moment I forgot that I was in the middle of the gym where I was onced wedgied six times in a row. Scott and Cora wasted no time branching off leaving Derek and I to find a punch bowl. We stood by it talking for a while and as the hours rolled by we both seemed to calm down more and more. Joking back and forth, trading subtle kisses, we were ourselves. Then a song came on the speaker "All of Me" I think it was, I couldn't quite make it out before my mind was enveloped with the image of Derek leaning in to take my hand into his own palm.