‹ P R O L O G U E ›

‹ K O L B E

It hurts.

The thought keeps running through my mind on repeat as my ankle continued to pulse painfully. I licked my nose in distress, a whimper escaping my jaws as I pressed my nose into the dirt. I took in deep breathes, trying to distract myself with the smell of the damp earth. My wolf was trying to help me bear the pain emanating from our back ankle that was stuck in the bear trap.

I should have known better than to hunt so close to humans, but like an idiot I chased my prey too far into human territory. Now I'm stuck in this mess. I can't shift for fear of causing anymore damage and moving in any way, shape or form also isn't an option. I'm almost certain that my hindleg is broken. Just another lesson I had to learn on my own. I had no one to teach me how to live in a world dominated by humans, it was hard lessons like these that taught me how to survive.

Only this time I don't think I'll be walking away from this one. The thought was distressing, I felt as though I had to much more life to live. I have a mate out there, whom I have yet to meet. Mate's were one of the few things taught to me by mother before him.

My side's were heaving and I kept my nose pressed into the soft soil, my ears flat on my head. I knew I was loosing a lot of blood, it was making me light headed. The bear trap was embedded into my skin making it impossible for me to heal. Trying to knaw it off would only cause more damage, I'd be better off just biting my leg off.

I don't know how long I'd been laying here, but it felt like hours had passed. I'm going to die. I thought hopelessly. The sun was setting bringing a host of new problems. In my current state it would be all too easy for another predator to make a quick meal of me . I'd been on my own for most of my nineteen years of life, what others of my kind would call a rogue. I prefer lone wolf. Not by choice of course. All this time and I've never come across one pack. I stopped wondering why a long time ago. I stopped looking too. Eventually I stopped seeing the point. Maybe the goddess my mother used to tell me about thought it was best that I be alone.

Now I would die alone, in the woods, with no pack, family, or mate to care or come looking for me. I was fading in and out of consciousness due to the blood loss and hope was no longer in my vocabulary. Maybe this wasn't so bad. My mother always told me that wolves weren't meant to live alone. We needed packs because we are social by nature. At least if I did die then maybe I could see my mother again. I wouldn't be alone anymore.

A sort of peace filled me with that thought. I wouldn't have to fight to stay alive anymore, I could rest. I had to admit the thought was very appealing. If my wound or other predators didn't kill me, starvation would. Not that it mattered, in the end I could sleep.

It seems however that the goddess had other plans for me. Just when I'd made my peace with dying and joining my mother, my over sensitive hearing picks up on the sound of a car nearing. I was literally a few feet from some lonely road that ran through a vast wood. I could see it's headlights through bleary eyes as it neared. I had to close my eyes as the brightness proved to be too much.

The vehicle slowed and pulled over, why, I don't know. Who in their right mind would get out of their car on a sketchy road just to investigate an oversized wolf on the side of the street. My question was answered when the man stepped out of the car. The light of the fading sun cast a golden glow on his chocolaty skin. He was well built with large arms and a huge frame. He took careful steps toward me, head tilted as he looked me over with concerned brown eyes. His brow furrowed and full pinks lips that were surrounded by a thick beard were pulled down at the edges.

He was beatiful and just the sight of him caused a shiver to race down my spine. My fur stood on end. As he inched closer a warning growl tore up my throat. No matter how appealing he looked, I was still a wolf, a wolf who was injured and in no way, shape or form able to defend myself. Instinct was overruling any other thoughts floating around in my head as I bared my fangs.

"Shhh, shh, it's okay big guy, I'm just trying to help," he soothed, his voice like rich honey, deep and comforting. His hands were spread in the universal sign of peace, he even crouched in order to make himself seem smaller. Which was kind of funny to see a man of his size attempt. His facial features softened as he crept forward slowly.

I eyed him unsurely, but covered my kanines, small growls still rumbling through me. Then, the wind shifted. I was hit with the amazing scent of spices and chocolate. The growls emanating from me immediately stopped. All of a sudden I wanted him closer. A whimper escaped me and the man who was delicious in every sense of the word turned his attention to my injured leg, thinking it was the cause of my sound of distress.

"Don't worry, I'll get you out. Just don't bite me." He bargained when he was about a foot away. I could only imagine the thoughts going through his head. I knew that I was larger than the average but not by much. I had no intention of biting him, well at least not yet.

I pressed my head down against the cool earth, heaving a sigh. The man released a chuckle. " I'll make this quick," he said closing the remaining distance. I clenched my eyes shut as I sensed him make his way to my injured hindleg. After a moment of fiddling with the accursed trap, I was free. And the pain was back. A sharp bark of pain escaped causing the man to jump slightly as I whirled around to sniff and lick the wound.

I then turned my attention to my rescuer, sniffing at his hands as he tried to shift away from me warily. I whimpered, not wanting him to be scared of me. He raised a dark brow curiously before shaking reaching a shaking hand out to place on top of my head. The sparks that raced down my spine completely distracted me from the fire in my ankle, unfortunately the man, no, my mate jumped back staring at his hand in wonder.

I whimpered again, wanting the feeling of his hands on me to return. He tore his gaze from his hand placing it back on me and with a moment's hesitation, his hand as well. "Don't worry, I'll patch you up, big guy," he said softly as his petting became more brazen once he realized I wasn't going to attack him and his touch was welcome. I let out a contented sigh as my pounding heart slowed and my eyes drifted close.

I didn't know what I would wake up to, but I did know that my existence finally gained some meaning.

I'd found my mate.