‹ T H R E E ›

‹ K O L B E

Once I was finished rinsing the shampoo out of my hair I shut off the water and stepped out, grabbing the towel Beau had left for me and wrapped myself in it. The water from shower eased some of the aches in my ankle, which I was thankful for, making it easier to walk. I took my time drying off. As much as I wanted to be around my newly discovered mate, I was still nervous. That and along with the fact that he seemed uncomfortable in my presence. Not that I blamed him.  I just wished that he was- Ugh, I can't say more accepting, that would be asking too much, but he was my mate and the distance he purposefully put between us made my heart ache. However, he is the closest thing I've had to family in a long time and, selfishly, I wasn't willing to let that go. I don't care how long it takes I'm determined to get him to fall in love with me.

And if I couldn't, then I suppose I'd just return to the woods, go back to the mind-numbing solitude and hopefully die. This is the first taste of a band I've had since my mother and just like that I was already addicted. Coming in contact with another sentient being in years was like a brand new experience, one that I wanted to continue. As my mother said, social by nature.

I finished drying off and put on the clothes Beau had left for me. It took me a minute, but after a little trial and error, I managed to put the garments on properly.  Just as I was reaching for the door handle, there was a light knock followed by Beau's husky baritone.

"All done?" He asked. In answer I opened the door, looking up into his chocolate eyes.

"Y-Yeah," I responded, my voice unintentionally husky. His gaze wandered over my form appreciatively causing blood to rush to my cheeks.

"I, uh, brought you a toothbrush," he said holding up the tiny stick with bristles.

"Thank you," I responded causing his eyes to snap back to mine. 

"You're welcome," he handed me the toothbrush and our fingers grazed as I took it. His hand jerked back at the unexpected sparks and I tried to seem unaffected by them.  *Don't rush it.* I thought as disappointment filled me despite my best effort to ignore it.  My wolf's ears flattened as he let out a sad whine. *What If he doesn't like us?* Not knowing how to answer I simply turned away from our mate and went about brushing my teeth, incorrectly apparently. Beau guffawed as I put the dry toothbrush in my mouth.

"Here, move over," he coaxed while stepping further into the spacious bathroom. He grabbed a tube of some sort before holding his hand out for the brush in my mouth.  I took it out and handed it to him. Our hands brushed once again as he took it from me. The sparks returned and to my surprise, Beau didn't jump away.

My heart fluttered. He put whatever was in the tube onto the bristles before handing it back to me.

"Toothpaste," he said, "you put it on your toothbrush." Amusement sparkled in his eyes as a smile tugged at his lips. I couldn't help but blink owlishly at him. Seriously, this man was gorgeous. Taking the brush from his hands I put it in my mouth.

*Good puppies brush their teeth every day,* I could hear my mother's voice as she whispered the words lovingly in my ear like she did every morning. Or used to anyway. Once I was done brushing my teeth I put the brush down, then looked up at Beau expectantly.

"Done," I said, falling back into the memory of the morning routine I and my mother shared.

"Aight, come on." He said flipping off the lights. I obediently followed him down the hallway, or At least tried my best to. My legs were still a little wobbly which made walking rather difficult. I ended up tripping over thin air and winded up stumbling heavily into the wall in order to catch my balance. Beau turned around, eyes lit with confusion before understanding filled them.

Without a word he walked up to me and wrapped an arm around my waist, allowing me to lean heavily into his side. He seemed to be getting used to the sparks that erupted every time we came in to contact, that or he'd just resolved to ignore them. I wasn't complaining, at least he wasn't flinching away from me. Once he thought I was secure we began walking again.

We entered a room at the end of the hallway. It was big, there was a huge bed in the middle of the wall to one side and a large tv on the wall across from it. The room was filled with other things that I couldn't remember the names of but looked extremely familiar to me. Shuffling our way to the bed, Beau stopped at the side of it and removed his arm. Before I could be saddened by this his hands were on my waist as he seemingly effortlessly picked me up placing me on the bed.

This had to be the softest thing I'd played on in years and the fact that was covered in Beau's delicious scent only made it better. I blushed involuntarily at the thought. Would Beau be sleeping on here too? My blush deepened.

He walked to his side of the bed and sat down, still looking me. Not liking the distance I crawled toward him and sat down about a foot away. He raised a brow but said nothing, eventually letting it go.

"Beau," I said, just to say his name. I loved the way it sounded coming out of my mouth and the reaction he'd give everyone I said it. He didn't disappoint as his brown orbs darkened. Reaching a hand out he pushed a lock of brown hair behind my ear. It had grown out to just a bit past my shoulders. Something I was mildly surprised by, but then again I haven't had a hair cut in eleven years.

I was more surprised that Beau didn't retract his hand. Instead, he traced my jaw gently, before trailing his fingers down the column of my throat.

"It's funny," he began just as his fingers met my collar bone. "You look pretty small to be a werewolf." He said thoughtfully. I shrugged delicately, not wanting to put him off from touching me.  I titled my head to the side submissively out of instinct although Beau probably didn't interpret it that way. He took it as okay to continue his exploration.

Goosebumps began to rise on my skin and my brain was getting fuzzy from the constant hum of sparks bouncing back and forth between me and him. I tried to keep my breathing steady and my hands to myself. I truly didn't want to scare him, so I tried to be good and stay still.

"B-Beau," I sighed contentedly as my body began to heat a few degrees. He swallowed thickly as his eyes landed on my lips.

"What are you doing to me? " he murmured under his breath causing mine to hitch. A moment later he removed his hand and it took everything in me not to cry out for him to touch me more.

"Why are you so nice?" I asked curiously. Beau was nothing like him. He would hurt my mom, but Beau was gentle and kind. "

Ah," he sighed " I honestly don't know. I just feel like, I should take care of you..."

My heart fluttered.

"Thank you," I said leaning forward and pecking his cheek, refraining from rubbing the sides of my face against his beard.

Our faces were about an inch apart and neither of us made a move to increase that distance. "You're welcome." He replied slowly, causing a shiver to race through me. He broke eye contact and leaned away and I did the same.

"It's 1:18 [am] right now," Beau said, looking at rectangular glowing thingy on his nightstand. "We should wait till to tomorrow to figure everything out."

I nodded and slipped under the covers but increased the distance between us so that he wouldn't feel awkward. Beau said nothing as he got up to turn off the light and climbed back into bed.

A few minutes passed in silence but I couldn't sleep. I stared restlessly as Beau's muscled back as longing filled me. I bit my lip and turned over, shutting my eyes closed.

A while later, I was able to slip into a dreamless sleep.

‹ AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello, loves ❤❤❤
I hope you enjoyed the update.

How do feel about their relationship so far?
Where do you think the story'll go from here?

Please comment on your thoughts on the chapter.

As always, thanks for reading😍😍😍

J.T. 😙😙😙