4: to an understanding

"Now, let's try that introduction part in English," Namjoon told Taehyung in his perfect american accent.

Darn!

He was good— scratch that, he was amazing and eloquent at speaking English. Every word he articulated made my gaping mouth go wider, and wider. He sounded like a native speaker.

"Hello, I am Kim Taehyung," Taehyung commenced in English. 

"How are you Taehyung?" Namjoon asked to keep the conversation going.

"I'm god!" A bright smile made its way to Taehyung's face.

I couldn't help but let out a silent chuckle. Taehyung was always the adorable one in our friend group.

"You mean you are the almighty? The god?" Namjoon asked with a serious face on but I could tell he was just being patient with Taehyung.

"Yes... No!" Taehyung shook his head to the sides.

"Good?" Namjoon finished Taehyung's sentence, and Taehyung nodded vigorously.

"Yes! I'm good!''

"You can also say that you are fine." Namjoon showed him a small smile and then turned to me. His lips were pressed into a flat line as he nodded at me. "Did you go over the vocabulary sheet?"

"Almost." I answered shortly and tried concentrating on the jumbled up papers before me.

Because Namjoon didn't react too fervently when he saw me today and I too was hiding my reaction carefully, Taehyung couldn't guess anything had happened between us, or, that we knew each other from before.

"God, why is this so hard!" Taehyung whined from my side and when I faced him, he had already let himself fall flat on the floor.

"I'm sorry you have to sit on the floor, my house is a mess right now. I only moved here three days ago," Namjoon said in a sincere manner.

He had this nerdy, round glasses on his face that made him look like a child somehow.

Why did he have to look like that? I wanted to scowl at him as response but couldn't.

"It's okay. Japanese style, I like it."

I handed him the sheets and we both recoiled hearing a low sound of snoring. It was coming from Taehyung who was lying on the floor beside me.

"Did he actually fall asleep?" Namjoon asked surprised.

I didn't say anything, instead, I poked Taehyung with my mechanical pencil but he didn't move at all. A second later, he turned to the other side and the sound of his snoring got louder.

"Guess he has worked hard enough for today." Namjoon chuckled a little, starting to survey the marks I had made on the sheets that indicated just how many of those words were known to me. There weren't many.

Then the awkward silence begun. I cursed at Taehyung inwardly for falling asleep like that, leaving me with Namjoon unsupervised.

"You're pretty good!" Namjoon's voice snapped me back from my thoughts and I saw him smiling brightly by himself. What a liar. "I can give you a book that will help you learn a few handy words. I will email you a few materials too."

I nodded and took the sheets back from him.

"Um, Park Soomi-sshi," Namjoon then cleared his throat making me look at him again.

"Call me Soomi. I'm your student."

"Yes, Soomi." He looked puzzled as he fixed his glasses. "The other day, I think you might've misunderstood me. By doing that I meant consulting with a therapist friend I have. He has helped a lot of questioning teens—"