11: she's just a student

KIM NAMJOON'S POV

"I was worried."

"I didn't ask you anything." Yoongi yawned in front of me, his eyes dripping off boredom.

"I mean, just imagine me finding out that girl was in college when she was supposed to be in a date with Soomi. Of course, I'd get worried, right?" I said it fast in one breath, sitting at the edge of my seat waiting, not-so-patiently for Yoongi's answer.

"You sound annoying." He yawned again.

"I know." I huffed out the breath I was holding, while letting my tensed shoulders relax. "I know I sound annoying but—"

"Now you sound like a girl."

"Do I?" I frowned. What I did last night made me seem so petty, but I couldn't help that. Since she was my student, and I knew her close to a personal level, it was natural that I'd worry. Or was it not?

"Does she remind you of someone?" Yoongi said in a low voice, making me look up at his sleepy eyes.

"Who?" I asked, bewildered.

"I hope you don't make the same mistake again." He got up from his seat. "Doesn't your class start in ten minutes?"

"Yeah." I checked my watch, and grabbed my coat in the meantime. "But tell me what you were talking about."

"Nothing." Stretching his arms out, he left the office after heaving yet another silent and heavy yawn.

***

"Remember to bring me the essay on your current favorite modern English novel, comparing the writing and the setting with a classic favourite of yours next class. Do not make it long. You do not have to work too hard on this. It wouldn't affect your exam papers either. It'll just help me get a good insight on each of you and I want to get to know you better." I smiled at the end of my lecture and the class bell rang just then. Perfect timing.

The students started getting up from their seats, leaving the classroom in a hurry, bodies jostling against each other. Some took it slow. I was rearranging the books on my table but from the corner of my eyes, I noticed Soomi getting ready to leave.

When she came up to the door, completely ignoring my existence after everyone had left, I couldn't help but run up to her.

"Soomi!" I called out her name making her stop, but she wouldn't turn my way or look at my face.

"What?" She said, still looking down.

"Look at me."

"Why?"

"Oh look, a cat in the classroom!" I shouted and she immediately turned around.

"How could you fall for that?" I was genuinely surprised that she actually turned, but thankfully I could see her face clearly this time. "I was right, you did hurt your face."

A crease appeared between her brows as she shook her head furiously to the sides, making her bangs cover up her forehead marred with the dark bruise.

"None of your business!" She spat, and I struggled to contain my laughter.

She was like a stray cat you'd want to take care of, because it was helpless, and adorable but it would keep getting angry at you even if you showed care, probably because no one cared for it before, or it didn't like that small gesture. Though, even its grumpiness would make you want to care for it more.