Subtle Darkness

The lights suddenly went out during a late night shift.

Naegi, concerned about Kirigiri who was working in her office alone, went to her office with a battery powered flashlight.

"Kirigiri-San, are you alright?" Naegi said as he showed his flashlight around Kirigiri's office.

"...Naegi-kun? Is that you?" Kirigiri asked in a soft voice.

"Yes... There was a sudden blackout. I wanted to check on you since the lights went out. Someone went to work on the lights. We should have electricity if not soon."

"...Is it just you?"

"Yes. It would be dangerous if a lot of people would be out on the move during a blackout with limited flashlights around. Where might you be?"

"I am on the ground by my desk..."

Naegi showed the flashlight around Kirigiri's face.

"Has something happened?"

"I twisted my foot earlier."

Naegi showed the flashlight towards Kirigiri's swollen ankle.

"That looks bad... We should get you out as soon as possible."

The flashlight started to flicker on and off. Soon afterwards, the flashlight died.

"...Did you accidentally turn it off?" Kirigiri asked, sounding very worried.

"Maybe," Naegi said as he desperately turned the switch on and off. "Huh? It's not working?"

"Did you bring any spare batteries with you, Naegi-kun?"

"...I'm sorry. I did not..."

Kirigiri let out a small sigh.

"Can you put out your hand then?"

"Yes, of course... Whoa!"

Kirigiri pulled Naegi onto the ground with her.

"Kirigiri-san?!"

"It is better if you find some place to sit. The lights should come back on any moment now."

"Ah, yes... Your hand..."

"It is easier to make sure of each other's presence this way."

"A-Alright..." Naegi replied nervously. "Are you in any pain right now?"

"The pain subsided, I will be able to get up eventually."

"You should still get it checked out, Kirigiri-san. It looked pretty awful when I saw it."

"I apologize for not having the prettiest ankles."

"N-No! Kirigiri-san has the prettiest ankles in the entire office!" Naegi said in a fluster. Naegi soon felt embarrassed about his proclamation. "Th-That's not what I meant... Kirigiri-san, does have pretty ankles though. It is not like I stare at them often. From what I have seen, they are very beautiful."