Always Holding In

Naegi wanted to take the initiative one day when he heard that Kirigiri was going to have a day off that aligned with his.

He had heard Kirigiri mention once that she would like to go out once in awhile with Naegi when she was talking with a friend. The reason Kirigiri never once acted selfish was because she knew how much work took out of him and wanted him to get as much rest as possible. As a result, Kirigiri began holding in her feelings more and more by the day.

"Let's go on a date tomorrow, Kirigiri-san!" Naegi proposed during work hours.

Kirigiri showed a bright smile that Naegi saw only once in awhile. The rare moment caused his heart to soar towards the sky.

"Alright, how about tomorrow in the town square at noon?" Kirigiri suggested.

"Yes!"

Naegi tried his best to carefully and methodically go through his work so that he would not have to redo his mistakes. He took extra care this time since he wanted to go on a proper date with Kirigiri.

Lately, they have only spent time at the office or at home together. This change of pace would surely bring them closer together is what Naegi kept thinking about during work.

Kirigiri watched Naegi diligently working hard from the side. Occasionally, she would slip in Naegi's favorite treats and drinks silently so that he could continue his work in peace.

It was finally the day of their date.

Unfortunately, someone other than Naegi made a mistake on a shared document. Even though it was not Naegi's fault, he still had to come back in the office to fix the mistake.

Kirigiri received a text message from Naegi while she was waiting at the meeting spot that he was going to be a bit late.

Asahina passed by at one point while she was shopping with her younger brother.

"Kyoko-chan, what are you doing out here?" Asahina asked Kirigiri.

"I am waiting for Naegi-kun to get off work," Kirigiri answered her.

"I see! I thought Naegi had a day off today?" Asahina asked.

"It seems that something happened at work..."

"How about I wait here with you? You are bound to be hit on sitting here by yourself since you are so pretty," Asahina said.

Kirigiri smiled in Asahina's direction.

"I will be fine by myself. Naegi-kun would not make me wait too long," Kirigiri answered her.

"Alright then... I will see you later then!" Asahina said as she waved Kirigiri goodbye.

Kirigiri began her long wait alone.

She began to feel anxious with each passing minute, thinking that something may have happened to her beloved Naegi. Despite her feelings, she continuously told herself to wait at the spot they promised to meet. Even if the world were about to end, she would not move from that spot knowing that her husband was out there somewhere.

An hour went by with no further word from her husband.

Two hours went by from Naegi's last text message.

The sky began to turn gloomy along with Kirigiri's growing worries. A light drizzle of rain began to rain down on everyone. As people began to take shelter from the rain, Kirigiri remained resilient and waited quietly for Naegi. Even when the rain began to pour, Kirigiri continued to wait in the same spot.

Suddenly, a hood from an umbrella covered Kirigiri from the rain. As she looked up, she saw the face of her beloved. Naegi's face and clothes were all tattered.

"Naegi-kun, welcome back," Kirigiri said with a smile.

Naegi bent his body at a complete 90° right angle in front of Kirigiri.

"I'm really sorry, Kirigiri-san! I made you wait for so long."

Kirigiri took out her handkerchief and began wiping his face.

"You look like you went through a lot," Kirigiri said as she smiled.

Although Kirigiri smiled, Naegi could tell that she was not smiling from the bottom of her heart and quickly went to hug her.

"I am really sorry for making you worry..."

Naegi's hug melted Kirigiri's frosted face and heart. She finally let her feelings show on her face through her tears as she embraced Naegi in her arms.

"...I was really worried," Kirigiri confessed.

The two continued their date by walking home holding their hands together.