Chapter 10

(Virgil's POV)

Song - Thing's We Used To Share: Thomas Sanders

"What is going on here?" Depression taunted, flashing Roman a knowing smile. He clicked his fingers and we appeared in the Common Room. It took me a good few seconds to get used to the absence of the comfort being in my mind brought, so I used Roman's shoulder to steady my shaky body. My wrist tingled as I eyed depression, a steady reminder of what I just tried to do. I figured that if I killed myself, Depression wouldn't be able to use me to get energy, causing him to die with me. Luckily Roman knocked some sense into me. I can overcome Depression using other techniques, I'm sure of it.

Thinking of Roman, I quickly withdrew my hands from his shoulder, my face burning as I remembered the kiss. I studied Roman's face, only to see that he was avoiding my gaze. Did he regret what happened?

"Good job Roman, you succeeded," Depression let out a low chuckle before walking forward to pat him on the back.

"Wha- did Depression put you up to helping me? Was all that a lie?"

Roman tiredly dodged his move as I spoke, moving to the other side of the room. I could see how every movement dragged him closer to absolute fatigue, and he collapsed onto the nearby chair before he had time to answer my question, falling into a deep sleep. 

Depression turned to me, a suddenly hateful look in his dark, soulless eyes causing my stomach to sink. I felt the familiar hopeless feeling that I always got around him, and I could feel another anxiety attack come on. I felt almost isolated now that Roman was asleep. Depression grabbed my wrist, causing me to wince. I was unable to move away as he turned my wrist around, exposing my raw, cut flesh. He smiled, cutting his fingernails into my skin as he gripped my arm harder still. "Did you actually think that you could ever get rid of me? I will always find ways to get you, Virgil. You'll never be safe, you're just too weak-willed to get me out of your head."

My vision went blurry as I felt him take my energy, sending me a warning. The message was clear, he was stronger than me. "You don't have a chance, Virgil. When will you get that?" And then he was gone. I fell to my knees, blinded by flashing colours, pain throbbing in my skull so extreme I wondered how my head hadn't split apart. Oh God.

He had entered my head, slowly draining me of my energy. It won't be long before he takes it all. This has happened before, when I first found him Thomas's mind. He was weaker then, so I was able to fend him off. Each time he did it, it got worse. Each time he went deeper, and I know he means to take it all today.

I hope they remember me...

Maybe if I focus on something nice, the last few minutes of my life won't be so bad. I look at Roman, the slow rise and fall of his chest and the soft, rhythmic sound of his breath giving me comfort. Why didn't I appreciate the things like that before, when I actually could?

My breath hitches and my eyes prick as I think of all my regrets. I should have told Patton that I loved him, same with Logan. And Thomas... I wish that I wasn't such a bad influence on his life. I hope that they remember me in a good light. I should have done more with them so they knew the real me.

I still haven't even told Roman that I love him. I ignore the throbbing pain in my head and the fading of my senses and drag myself across the lounge towards him. Roman was the reason my life had any meaning. I wish I had told him how much he meant to me. I ran my hands through his hair, putting the feeling to memory. I felt my throat clench and my eyes prickle with tears as I bit my lip to hold back my emotions.

Leaning forward, I connected my lips with his, not even caring when I started crying. My head instantly cleared, and I felt Depression get weaker. Feeling a hand close over my cheek, I looked up to see Roman's brown eyes locked on mine. 'I'm sorry,' I choked out with a thick voice, leaning back into the couch. Instantly, Depression was back in my head, causing me to double over in pain.

'Are you ok? Where's Depression?' Roman questioned sleepily, scanning the room.

'He - he's in here,' I gestured roughly to my head. 'I don't think I have long, Roman. I need to tell you so much.'

He looked awake now, and he rubbed the small of my back, sending shivers up my spine. 'I love you so much,' I muttered into his shoulder, feeling hot tears seep run down my face like wax.

Another sharp pain jabbed down my body, and my mind fogged, reminding me that my time was almost up. Roman leant forward, 'I love you too,' and I was lost in his touch.

My mind cleared again as we kissed, each second sending waves of pleasure through my body. I gripped Roman's shoulder, inhaling his scent. He hand continued rubbing up my spine, soothing me as our kiss intensified. I had never felt to alive, so free from anxiety. My mind had never been more free, and I laughed, breaking away from the kiss and wrapping Roman in a hug.

Depression appeared next to us, a shaky and bleeding mess on the floor. He sent me a glared of pure hate, sending a shiver through my body. 'How? What's happening to m-' and then he was gone.

Merry Christmas guys 💕
To be continued ❤💜